It is currently October 17th, 2017, 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: bad habits affect fitting? REVISED... the fitting
PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 6:54 pm 

What do u guys think....

My clubs are ill fitted to some degree but I've adjusted to them. I should be 2 degrees flat and 1/4" short. My irons are 2 degrees upright and standard length. If i hit anything at a demo day thats fitted to me statically it feels great at address but i hit it badly. Gimmee what i got and boom. I'd rather the shorter length because it puts everything where it should be.

Whats gonna happen if i get fit, what would they do?

Last edited by Typhoon on July 14th, 2013, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bad habits affect fitting?
PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 7:02 pm 

Take your 7 iron (or favorite iron) and compare head to head at your fitting. When I was fitted for my driver, took my old driver with me. Same with my irons.

Kan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 7:39 pm 

Typhoon wrote:
What do u guys think....

My clubs are ill fitted to some degree but I've adjusted to them. I should be 2 degrees flat and 1/4" short. My irons are 2 degrees upright and standard length. If i hit anything at a demo day thats fitted to me statically it feels great at address but i hit it badly. Gimmee what i got and boom. I'd rather the shorter length because it puts everything where it should be.

Whats gonna happen if i get fit, what would they do?

Not sure why you're going for a fitting if you know all your specs and needs? :???: :wink:
Go in with an open mind.

I won't even plant the seed of, "what if my swing is really OFF the day of my fitting." :lol: :wink:

I put the i20's in the bag for tomorrow. Mostly because I played like a 20 capper the front 9 of my last round. :bill: Figure I can use the forgiveness. Going with the Ping bag for fun tomorrow, save the wedges and putter. :geek:

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 11:06 am 

Played my i20's pretty well yesterday. It was kinda windy and I played conservatively. Felt great though. 39-38-77. Hit a couple bad drives and missed a couple 5 foot putts to balloon the score. Iron shots were all at their target. Came up short into the wind a couple times, but being it was the first time playing these in some time, I err'd to the side of not blowing over greens. Flighted a PW under the hole into the wind to 5 feet only to miss the putt. That was the lowlight of the day. Yuck.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 10:34 pm 

Oooh. So close! Was -2 standing on #16 tee today. Lots of Ping in the bag.

Anser 10.5 set to 10, SST Pured Phenom 60 stiff set to open 10º setting
G5 15º, SST Pured Phenom 80 stiff
i20 20º, SST Pured RIP @ 85 stiff
i20 4-PW, blue dot, c-taper stiff, +1/4", 1/4 inch shorter than my other irons. Ping fitting said +1/4" and I rolled with it. Fitting said black dot, and I thought that was a bandaid for me coming over the top during my fitting. He even was thinking about red dot that day. I went blue dot, as I used to be green dot. It's like one degree up. About a degree or so flatter than I used to play. All my sets are very close in their setup, except +1/2." In other words, don't fret the details too much.

588-RTX 50-10, 54-12, 58-12 S400's
White Hot Pro #7, 35.5", one degree up

Really nice day out there today. Played well to boot! -2 34 on the front! Had good looks at bird that just didn't go in. Really hot on the front. No warm up. Jumped out of the car and went. Was still -2 through 15, and drove it well leaving 134 uphill. I hit right beside the pin and it bounded down a bank over the back. Bogey. OK. Still -1.

Par 3 17 playing 167 and slightly downhill/wind. I steered an 8 to pin high 20 ft and two putt. Still -1.

18. OK, need a good drive. 419 yards of tough finishing hole. Nice drive, just a touch right, and ends up in a nasty lie in the rough about 5 yards right of the fairway. 141 to a back pin, slightly downwind/pushing right. DEEP fescue short and water shorter front right of the green that I now need to go directly over from this side. Bunker front left.

Got crap contact out of a 9 iron and it knuckled and died into that fescue. Never found it. Too bad. Yellow Z star XV I bought from some little girls with a stand for 75 cents before the 13th tee! (13. Uggh!) I played the last holes for good luck with that XV and it had worked to that point. I dropped another ball just to give it another try and sure enough, middle of the green two putt land. Uggh! After the lost ball, I double.
Curse you, golf gods. +2 73. Tees I played are rated 73.1, so sorta par? ha!

i20's, GOOD. C-tapers work surprisingly well for me. :???: I don't find them all that low launch. Very stable though. Stiff flex is good enough for this old guy. My sternum has been cracking lately from a car accident injury. :o

Whenever I change up my bag, it seems the first round is kinda so-so, feeling them out. Then next round is usually when I play a nice one like this. I like to change up what I'm looking down at sometimes. :lol:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 7:30 am 

Still a great round. Good shooting,
I got a little lower flight with the C-tapers over the CFS. The I20's are some nice irons.

Kan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 11:07 am 

Kankal wrote:
Still a great round. Good shooting,
I got a little lower flight with the C-tapers over the CFS. The I20's are some nice irons.

Kan

Thanks. Still leaves a bad taste though! :lol:
On paper, KBS make the C-tapers seem like worm burner creators, but they give me adequate height.
It was a little windy up there yesterday (inland links style course) and they cut through nicely.
Have a tee time in a couple hours again. 3 days in a row. Hello, tylenol. :lol:

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2013, 7:32 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
Not sure why you're going for a fitting if you know all your specs and needs? :???: :wink:

...wise ass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2013, 7:50 pm 

Kan, I was thinking of doing that, fantastic idea, something to compare to. I know I need to bring down my ballflight and spin so hitting my becu eye 2 beside the i20 is gold. Mr.D I'm going to ask them about the c-taper in stiff and the Ping CFS in X. I think the CFS in stiff goes to high but thats where maybe hitting mine next to it will help. I'm ruling out the PXI 6.0 because I hear the upcharge is outrageous. I can try it but probably not.

I'm not worried about the swing being "off"... its not like I have to buy clubs that day. I can go for another fitting somewhere else too. Plus with the bills around here and the wife's outright hatred of golf, I'm probably just doing this to see how far apart what I'm playing vs. what I'm fitted for is. My iron swing has been great this year, a couple times it got off track it was one thing that got it back on track so I love being at that point. I really got it simplified over the winter. Getting the ball in the hole has been the problem.

Open mind for sure, I'm rather excited about it. I would really like to be able to stick to a club length that is for me... -1/4 to -1/2 and then adjust the lie angle and swing weight from there. The length my clubs are now make me artificially hold my hands in a different position ( I'm used to it but...) and I know my set up feels sooo much better when my arms hang naturally for a shorter length club.

I can't remember but I saw one time something about how your lie angle change for + or - inches increments in club length. Right now, off a lie board I make perfect contact with Green ( 2 degrees upright) but the clubs are too long for me. So yeah, this will be fun... I'm thinking being more comfortable with the club length I might be able to go after it harder... ooh.

Also Mr. D... stop thinking about your score you knucklehead... :angry: that's a recipe for disaster. Should have taken an extra club on the last hole and still swung hard at it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2013, 8:24 pm 

Typhoon wrote:
Also Mr. D... stop thinking about your score you knucklehead... :angry: that's a recipe for disaster. Should have taken an extra club on the last hole and still swung hard at it.

Usually, I try not to add up my card, but I've been playing consistently, so it's hard to not know where I'm at score-wise. :lol:

I put myself in no man's land where the drive wound up just due to the angle over water and fescue and bunkers back left of the pin up on a hill. (My sand game SUCKS generally, so I avoid it like the plague.)
I really should have err'd more left and if I came up short, I would have had a chip and putt chance anyway. Tried it. Didn't turn out. Would have only tied my best score for that course anyway, so no biggie. :-P

Post subject: Re:Finally got fit
PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 8:44 am 

Another demo day and the plan was to get iron fitted. Worked out great since my iron swing was right where i wanted it

Taylormade: Rocketbladez tour irons 1 to1.5 upright, flighted px95 5.5. I hit a few with the kbs tour shaft that went left, right, thin... I think I hit 4 and he came over with the px95. He then gave me a 2 degree upright head and then settled on the 1 degree. He said when I'm hitting it good its 2 degree but if I'm a little off ( and my miss I told hit was big left) its gonna go big left. So he suggested 1 to 1.5. I wish I had went back after and hit the px95 in 6.0. From what I've read I'm afraid the 5.5 might be soft. At Ping I asked for the X and she agreed it was better.

Ping i20: poor shaft selection as usual but the stock cfs shaft is amazing. Hit the standard project x 5.5 and it was no better than the cfs. Hated the dgs s300. Anyway...stock cfs in x or even softstep down to in between x and s ( A suggestion of the Ping fitting girl). X was great though. Didn't have the px95 there. 1 to 1.5 degrees upright and minus a quarter inch gave me a better address position. If there was a distance concern with the shorter length i could tweak the loft. Another idea she had that I hadn't thought of. D0 swingweight. Still would like to hit the cfs x and the px 95 both 5.5 and 6.0 on a launch monitor to make a final decision.

Cally X hot pro: same specs as taylormade. But also minus a quarter inch. I only got fit here because I noticed the guy doing the fittings was doing a good job and knew his stuff. I was shocked that I hit them as well as I did. When I asked him about the 5.5 or 6.0 he just said I'd be splitting hairs, my swing and transition are so smooth... I'd get better feel with the 5.5.

I checked with Cally and Taylormade about a combo set of the non-tour 3 and 4 irons and the rest the tour or pro and they can do it. What was weird is that taylormade used Trackman to do it, I forgot to ask him my numbers :angry: . Cally and Ping just eyeballed it even though Cally had flightscope. At the end of the Cally fitting I hit a few more and asked the numbers. 6 iron spin around 5100 and carry of 180. I would have loved to be able to compare the 3 because this was the first day I've ever hit the Cally decent.

What was really great was that all 3, whether it was eyeballed or launch monitored,

So what am I looking at? Ping and Taylormade neck and neck with a slight advantage to Ping.
Pings I can get a great shaft that isn't an upcharge on the head that I have always hit the best at every demo day. Only drawback, and maybe I'm reaching here is that Viola isn't doing them, therefore I can't get the tweaks and the fine tuning he does.
Taylormade I can have Viola do for me. I can bring in the specs they wrote up at the fitting and work from there to fine tune if if need to and get the swing weight where I want it ( Pings I know were D-0, nobody else knew theirs). He can probably eek some some extra yards etc.. but Adjusting the Ping lofts would do the same. Cost... with the upcharge on the shafts I'm looking at over a grand, maybe $1200 from Viola and probably $800 for Pings. This is only for 3-PW too, not the wedges. me eyeballing it, I couldn't see a difference between the 2 clubs which is why I'd like to hit them on a LM.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bad habits affect fitting? REVISED... the fitting
PostPosted: January 28th, 2014, 1:11 pm 

Ok...6 months later....still no clubs, big suprise...probably the reason I still have my irons from 1986. Anyway, about the only thing on the radar now safe the Callaway Apex or Apex forged or a combo set. Ctaper lite, pxi or recoil shafts. I'll update this in another 6 months

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bad habits affect fitting? REVISED... the fitting
PostPosted: December 20th, 2014, 2:15 pm 

Typhoon wrote:
Ok...6 months later....still no clubs, big suprise...probably the reason I still have my irons from 1986. Anyway, about the only thing on the radar now safe the Callaway Apex or Apex forged or a combo set. Ctaper lite, pxi or recoil shafts. I'll update this in another 6 months

or a year. Stilll ahve the same irons. Used the Mizuno shaft optimizer though and learned some sbout my swing tempo and release point. Noted the c-taper lite was awful for me, reciols too much money. Mizuno suggested px6.0 which I don't hit consistently, the KBS Tour softstepped X, PXI either 6.5 softstepped or 6.0 depending on weight/consistency, Nippon 1150 gh hardstepped S.

Maybe next year...

Profile E-mail