It is currently January 19th, 2018, 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What did I miss?
PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 6:58 pm 

Since the LDA eliminated local and regional competition in all divisions except Open I haven't been following Long Drive nearly as close as I used to. So today when I tuned in to The Golf Channel to watch the re-broadcast of the Finals I didn't even know who won!
For most enthusiasts Long Drive is as much about the equipment as the competition. I was surprised when I didn't see even one commercial for any Long Drive Specific equipment. They didn't even do an in depth run down on each competitors equipment! What a miss!!!
Also, I don't just want to see someone hit the longest drive, I WANT TO SEE SOME REALLY LONG DRIVES. Staging the finals at night in the cold desert air on a grid that wasn't even close to level is pretty lame. As the football guys on ESPN would say "Come on, man"!!!
Let's see the finals come back to Mesquete in the hot afternoon sun which would be more conducive to monster long drives!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What did I miss?
PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 11:30 pm 

Yeah, I agree...it sucks now. They wanted the big sponsor instead of the actual companies that ARE what LD is all about. Callaway controls it.

Last year the had the finals at the speedway, that sucked just as bad as this year. God knows why they have it in October. Every year there are stupid winds that it inconsistant depending on when u hit. I just shake my head now.

They have cheapened the whole event by getting rid of qualifying and letting any schmuck that can't hit it 200 yards with a disposable income be able to tell his friends he made it to the wldc. Again, Its all about the money now, not what the event means.

Back in 2005 I was watching it on Christmas eve. They would say what the guys used for equipment...mostly components. I went to the computer that night and discovered SMT, Accuflex and Alpha. Now look where those companies are. Back then none of the oems sponsored guys...Now most are playing Callaway and wearing their crap. Mobley is the first one I remember dumping Bang I think the night before the finals and hitting Callaway when he won.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 7:22 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Mobley was hitting Alpha the year he won and then Cally
I was Alpha's LD rep and remember talking to Jim Yeh at Alpha about him switching -basically he was offered money and a contract- can't blame him for taking it really

Classiest thing Jim said was -'Yes - he hit Callaway but he still had an Alpha shirt and hat on!' Alpha sales did ok after worlds that year! lol

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 11:41 pm 

pgw wrote:
Mobley was hitting Alpha the year he won and then Cally
I was Alpha's LD rep and remember talking to Jim Yeh at Alpha about him switching -basically he was offered money and a contract- can't blame him for taking it really

Classiest thing Jim said was -'Yes - he hit Callaway but he still had an Alpha shirt and hat on!' Alpha sales did ok after worlds that year! lol

Hey Neil, I was over on Incepta and in the classifieds for some reason there was a post wondering if PGW was gone. Didn't look into it but you might want to go over and clear if up if you have to.

Yeah the Mobley thing, I new it was one of the LD companies, had Bang on my mind I guess. Right, can't blame him for taking the money, those guys really don't make anything so any opportunity for money or free stuff and watch out!! Its just that there is no "honor" either, you bend over backwards for them and they'll dump you for a free bag of tees.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 6:52 am 

It's just sad that Long Drive went from a sport that a person could compete in at any age to an elitist sport for only the the young guys! I used to love the working out, practicing, and dreaming that I don't do anymore.
I still golf, but I really miss long drive.
I visited the U.S. Senior London Drive Site, but it looks like it's full of past world champs and finalists and I wouldn't stand a chance!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 11:56 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

pgw site got hacked so mostly using the anmkara.com site for business not the prettiest - simple and to the point
f

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail