It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: where to start?
PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 10:17 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Here's the thing -
Who's to say they are getting the best stuff?
Most just go by what they read and man are they surprised when they buy it and its nothing like they expected or heard it would be
To go further into it -
I use numbers as a base when I'm fitting someone online through a phone cal etc - I can usually get a general knowledge of characteristics
I also tell them it is a starting point and we will probably have to adjust
along with numbers - want to see ball flight - that says and explains a lot on what to do also -
I do not write flex on shafts when I fit guys - I use usually 3-4 clubs and usually know which way to adjust
I use the motto - ' you hit - I fit'

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: where to start?
PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 6:02 am 

I would also argue that if you 'get some basic equipment and try a local', you run in to two things.
1.) Basic equipment may or may not fit you. I was fortunate enough to get several heads and shafts for ~$200 when I started and one of those clubs fit fairly well and the others were either too stiff, too weak or too low lofted. It wasn't until I spent some time communicating with Neil and found what would work best for me. It was several hundred dollars for me to get the equipment that fit me, but I picked up some significant yardage.
2.) Locals DO NOT tell the tale of how well you can do in LD. I competed 2 years in the sport and won 2 of the 3 locals I competed in. I worked out 5 days a week and hit balls 4 or 5 days a week. I was probably in the best shape I had been in and got my swing speed up to the highest it's ever been. In the regionals, I hit two balls over 400 (404 & 405) that got me in to the quarter final round. My longest drives were 40 yards behind the guys that got in to the finals. What I thought was sufficient was not. I'm telling you, until you hit against the best, you really have no idea how short you are.
However, like I said before, it is a fun sport and it gives you something to strive to do your best in. Just not the way I want to spend my money and my time. That's what my family is for!

Profile E-mail