It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: where to start?
PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 3:16 am 

Where do I need to start? Does height factor for the shaft length? What loft am I needing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: where to start?
PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 7:39 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Golf background?
Sports background?
Any speed numbers? Distances?
There are more questions but easy to start here

Of course any swing videos help also

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 1:44 pm 

I assume you already hit it a long way if you are asking these questions.

I assume you are going to have to get an idea of loft that works for you and get the proper shaft as well which would mean meeting up with somebody who knows the business. Where are you located so maybe Neil can help point you in a good direction?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 1:47 pm 

pgw wrote:
Golf background?
Sports background?

I've played golf and have gone to the hitting range a couple times. Never on a consistent basis.
Baseball and Football. I've played those since I was little all the way to college level. I still toss the ball around though. Last game I played was about 5 years ago.
No distances.

I just turned 30. I go to work, come home and see the kids and go to bed. Do it all over again. I am needing a hobby that I can pick up. The few times I do go and play golf. I know I can crush the ball. I just slice it really bad. Once I do get a hold of it, it goes far, to me anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 2:52 pm 

Freak of Nature wrote:
pgw wrote:
Golf background?
Sports background?

I've played golf and have gone to the hitting range a couple times. Never on a consistent basis.
Baseball and Football. I've played those since I was little all the way to college level. I still toss the ball around though. Last game I played was about 5 years ago.
No distances.

I just turned 30. I go to work, come home and see the kids and go to bed. Do it all over again. I am needing a hobby that I can pick up. The few times I do go and play golf. I know I can crush the ball. I just slice it really bad. Once I do get a hold of it, it goes far, to me anyways.

Speaking from experience:
1.) Hitting it a long way once you get a hold of it, isn't enough. When I competed, I was regularly in the 350+ range and couldn't hold a candle to most guys out there.
2.) It's an EXTREMELY expensive sport. Fun, but expensive.
3.) If you do persue it, have fun. You may make it somewhere, you may not. But in all things you do, enjoy it or it's not worth doing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 5:01 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

hey who's this nukegolfer guy? lol

also have to change lingo-
longdrivers do not hit slices-they hit 'power fades'
and hooks are 'power draws'

if your slicing- its probably from the baseball swing- over the top and strong right hand
keep elbow tucked on that right hip and slow down backswing-
I always ask 'athletic' background because most of the time you can pinpoint tendencies and picture whats happening
It is also easier to explain - speed does not come from taking the club back fast even though people think it makes them faster-
usually it just makes a person sway back and once back- it makes it hard to get back to the ball from that position

best thing to do - learn to eliminate that slice 1st - if you grab an ld club- it is just going to amplify what you are doing now

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 7:49 pm 

pgw wrote:

if your slicing- its probably from the baseball swing- over the top and strong right hand
I always ask 'athletic' background because most of the time you can pinpoint tendencies and picture whats happening
It is also easier to explain - speed does not come from taking the club back fast even though people think it makes them faster-
usually it just makes a person sway back and once back- it makes it hard to get back to the ball from that position

best thing to do - learn to eliminate that slice 1st - if you grab an ld club- it is just going to amplify what you are doing now

Any golf video that is geared towards curing a slice "power fades" and hooks "power draws" help? I know everyone has a particular way on doing this. Didn't know if anyone in the LD community had a book or video lessons.

From the videos I've watched - Shook, Gentry, Dobbyn, Zuback, Gavin, Sadlowski, & Winther. I can pinpoint some of the things I am doing wrong. I do have the baseball swing. Do I need to find someone with a trackman? Not sure if anyone around this area has one. I'm about 50 miles from Memphis, Tn. I know practice makes perfect. So hitting at a range or course everyday is key to success.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 9:13 pm 

nukegolfer (Brandon) is in Tennessee, but is a drive for you. He may have recommendations on where to go though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 3:47 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Brandon is a great guy (dont let him see I said that tho!)
Met him when he 1st started - he's right also- is not just something someone comes into and does well right away- it takes work
there are very few exceptions but there are some that just come in and you take notice immediatly

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 9:24 am 

purchased krank rage with a livewire shaft. Can't wait till it comes in!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 5:55 am 

pgw wrote:
Brandon is a great guy (dont let him see I said that tho!)
Met him when he 1st started - he's right also- is not just something someone comes into and does well right away- it takes work
there are very few exceptions but there are some that just come in and you take notice immediatly

I may have to print that off and frame it! :lol:

Freak - Neil helped me out with getting the right equipment and he was always willing to help me out! Great guy with lots of experience (no Neil, I'm not calling you old).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 6:01 am 

Freak of Nature wrote:
pgw wrote:

Any golf video that is geared towards curing a slice "power fades" and hooks "power draws" help? I know everyone has a particular way on doing this. Didn't know if anyone in the LD community had a book or video lessons.

From the videos I've watched - Shook, Gentry, Dobbyn, Zuback, Gavin, Sadlowski, & Winther. I can pinpoint some of the things I am doing wrong. I do have the baseball swing. Do I need to find someone with a trackman? Not sure if anyone around this area has one. I'm about 50 miles from Memphis, Tn. I know practice makes perfect. So hitting at a range or course everyday is key to success.

One quick note on that statement, Perfect practice makes perfect. If you are practicing bad habits, you might make it worse. Before you go out and pound balls for hours and get frustrated because they aren't going where you want them, video yourself, send it to Neil and let him give you some pointers. The LD swing is so much different than a normal swing and if you are making it worse than it has to be, you're causing yourself more harm than good. Physical training, espcially stretching, will help but can't solve all the problems. Just make sure you are as informed as possible before you get in over your head. Best of luck to you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 7:30 am 

Hi freakofnature!
With all due respect to the guys that have already posted. It doesn't need to be expensive to get started in long drive. Nor do you need your "numbers". You have to understand that you are talking to some of the top folks in the sport here and their point of view is biased because of the level at which they participate and compete.
I competed as an enthusiastic amateur. Didn't start till I was in my early 50's. I knew going in I might never make it to the Worlds, but I had fun. I did a lot of research on line, I experimented with different heads and shafts as finances would allow, hit a lot of balls at the range, and actually made it to regional competition twice!!! It was a ball, but now I'm old and infirm and I've given up the obsession with the long ball (maybe).
So my advice to you is to do your research online about equipment. Then learn how to assemble your own clubs (big money saver), pick up some used (or last years new old stock) components, build a club, and start hitting the range. Then find out where the nearest local competition is, go hit 6 balls, and see if you like it.
If you find that you love it (like I did) and you are hitting some respectable distances, then seek out some advice from respected competitors and club builders and see how far you can take it.
It's a great sport. Even now I still love going to the range and pounding 50 balls as far as this old body will allow. On a bad day it frustrates, on a good day it invigorates, and it always takes my mind off of everything else!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 9:31 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Numbers are everything in long drive
Spin #
Distance #
Swing speed # ball speed # launch angle
If you want to be fit right you need to know them
I know more guys that have spent more money buying used gear off other people that doesn't work for them its ridiculous
If you want to experiment for years - is up to you
Sorry but totally disagree
Get the right advise because I've also seen a lot of guys hit what is totally wrong for them

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 9:59 am 

I knew I'd get jumped on for my last post, and I don't necessarily disagree with pgw. He's at the top of his field and his knowledge is unimpeachable.
But on the other side of the coin I've seen guys go the whole route. Buy the best stuff, talk to the best people, spend a ton of money, and then either not like the sport or find out they are not and will not ever be competitive and quit. There has to be an easier, less expensive, less serious way for folks to give it a try. Get some basic equipment, hit in a local qualifier and see if they like it. Then, like I said earlier, if they want to take it to the next level and seriously compete on a national stage they can start spending the time and money to do the things they need to do at that level.
That is my complaint about the LDA. By following the PGA model and eliminating the older age groups at local level they eliminated alot of people from the sport that were having fun and supporting long drive. Now instead they just play in their weekly league and forget about long drive.

Profile E-mail