It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most LDers seem to hit a fade.......?
PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 7:14 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

In watching the REMAX finals it looked to me that most of the guys hit a fade .........why is that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Most LDers seem to hit a fade.......?
PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 10:15 am 

I think it was deliberate..........playing into the wind to bring the ball back into the grid.

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 4:31 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Didn't look that way to me .............with the exception of Sadlowski, it appeared to me that was the natural ball flight of the other guys.

Where are our LD guys? :popcorn:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 5:07 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

DrGreen wrote:
Didn't look that way to me .............with the exception of Sadlowski, it appeared to me that was the natural ball flight of the other guys.

JUST stepping in here ( not really knowing what I'm talking about only been playing golf for 40 years ) IF you crank a driver real real hard it is going to go left all the time and go out off the grid; so they have learned how to crank it up without going left; noting they have to be in the grid to win.

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 6:00 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

GO4IT wrote:
DrGreen wrote:

JUST stepping in here ( not really knowing what I'm talking about only been playing golf for 40 years ) IF you crank a driver real real hard it is going to go left all the time and go out off the grid; so they have learned how to crank it up without going left; noting they have to be in the grid to win.

You lost me here ......are you saying they hit a fade because they can control it better?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 11:18 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

DrGreen wrote:
GO4IT wrote:
DrGreen wrote:

You lost me here ......are you saying they hit a fade because they can control it better?

They have Learned NOT TO DUCK HOOK IT ! & GO OFF THE GRID

ALDILA, INTEGRA,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 11:18 pm 

If they use a strong grip, they can hold it off and hit that power fade. With their upward angle of attack, it's not adding too much backspin to the ball and it functions like a reverse draw. If the wind was coming off the back left, I could see them riding it with a big fade. Might have a little more height/spin to maximize the carry with that power fade.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 11:25 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

mr_divots wrote:
If they use a strong grip, they can hold it off and hit that power fade. With their upward angle of attack, it's not adding too much backspin to the ball and it functions like a reverse draw. If the wind was coming off the back left, I could see them riding it with a big fade. Might have a little more height/spin to maximize the carry with that power fade.

YOU are right they are PRO'S They know how to do that.

Also i might add if you have a driver face that has flatten out on you and has lost it's BULGE & ROLL You are screwed you have no idea ware it is going to go & you can't work the ball FORGET ABOUT COR :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 6:05 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

The fade happens because the goal is to go for lowest spin possible
The ball pretty much knuckles and releases when it hits the ground
There were A LOT of ' duck hooks ' hit lol
Sometimes it happens when your hands turn over to fast and guys try to work a draw
With all the OB lefts this year - with alot of wind blowing left to right- thoose duckhooks were because of flat faces and clubhead failure and sidespin

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 7:25 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Neil - on a grid with no wind - is the fade the shape of choice for most LDers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 10:34 am 

I heard the back right corner of the grid was the speed slot this year so a fade makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 7th, 2012, 3:13 pm 

If you look at the lay of the land, EVERYTHING naturally goes left to right on the grid. You have the Mesa and the practice grid to the left which sets much higher. When it rains, which way does the water run, left to right. A three time champion and I were talking and he said a draw has never won on this grid. The wind this year was strong out of the left. I intentionally tried to hit it down the left side and let it ride the wind. If the wind would have been from the right, guess what everyone would have tried to do??

Back before Zuback starting winning, most tried to turn it over from right to left, but when he started winning with the power fade, guess what everyone went to? A fade is easier to hit, IMO. When you are swinging that fast, getting the timing down to hit a consistent draw is tough.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Bombinbrian wrote:
If you look at the lay of the land, EVERYTHING naturally goes left to right on the grid. You have the Mesa and the practice grid to the left which sets much higher. When it rains, which way does the water run, left to right. A three time champion and I were talking and he said a draw has never won on this grid. The wind this year was strong out of the left. I intentionally tried to hit it down the left side and let it ride the wind. If the wind would have been from the right, guess what everyone would have tried to do??

Back before Zuback starting winning, most tried to turn it over from right to left, but when he started winning with the power fade, guess what everyone went to? A fade is easier to hit, IMO. When you are swinging that fast, getting the timing down to hit a consistent draw is tough.

Thanks Brian ........anytime I have swung as hard as I could, I've found a fade easier to put in play.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 13th, 2012, 11:24 pm 

I usually hit a draw, thought it would give the most distance. With my height and weight, I always played it for the most distance. I never try to hit a fade, I like to have one ball flight. Tonight I was hitting on our flightscope, mostly draws in the 295-303 range. Just for the heck of it, I decided to aim down the left and hit a little fade ( I have a very strong grip too ) and hit it 317. All the numbers were better too, 3 mph more clubhead speed, more ball speed, less spin... I only had time to hit that one, closing time, but I instantly thought of this thread.

Profile E-mail