It is currently April 20th, 2018, 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Would the shaft flex change
PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm 

I have a shaft that really works well for me. It's an old Accuflex Pro LD S flex. The last head I had it in had what I would call a "normal length hozel". I play my clubs at 48" USGA finished club length.
I want to put this shaft in a head with a very long hozel (power pod II) which would then necessitate shortening the shaft to get the finished club down to 48".
How would this affect flex? Would it get stiffer? Substantially so?
I don't want to shorten the shaft if it would make it unplayable for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Would the shaft flex change
PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 3:35 pm 

Probably feel much the same but with a firmer feel to the tip in the new head. If it's 1/4" or 1/2" deeper, I'd have to believe its similar to tipping the shaft by that much. Unless going a lot shorter, probably won't notice the butt end as much as the effect to the tip.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 8:00 am 

Factor in the differences in head weight. Do they weigh the same? Is the PP head heavier than the head the shaft was in previously?

What is the hosel depth of the PP head, and how far does it actually go into the head(if in fact, it even goes into the head)?

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 8:43 am 

The Power Pod is lighter than the previous head. The shaft does not go into the head, the hozel is actually up much higher than the top of the head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 6:33 pm 

carry&roll wrote:
The Power Pod is lighter than the previous head. The shaft does not go into the head, the hozel is actually up much higher than the top of the head.

That is what is called (correctly) a "standard bore". Almost all shaft mfgrs. recommend tipping of 1" when installing in these bores. We can only assume they are using this recommendation based on the "standard" weight of a head(whatever that might have been for them....195?? 198?? 200??).
BUT....with a lighter headweight, 1" may be too much.

What is the weight of the PP head?

Before a big 'discussion' breaks out here about bores.....
a standard bore is one where the tip of the shaft DOES NOT go into the head. If any part of the tip goes into the head, from even just 1/4", or to the very bottom of the bore, that is a blind bore. Most people also call that a standard bore; it is not!

FWIW....I have played that same shaft(Pro LD) and tipped it to play in a blind bore head; it seemed too soft otherwise.

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 7:57 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

From Nike:

"Standard Bore
Usually in metal heads, the depth of the hosel is between 1 1/4 - 2 inches deep. This is the depth the shaft fits into the hosel.

Thru Bore
This is when the hosel hole goes all the way through the sole of the club head. Callaway's are renowned for this.

Blind Bore
Wooden heads and some composite heads have a hosel bores that extend to within 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the sole plate, but do not go completely through. This hosel bore depth is usually around 4 inches."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:04 pm 

DrGreen wrote:
From Nike:

"Standard Bore
Usually in metal heads, the depth of the hosel is between 1 1/4 - 2 inches deep. This is the depth the shaft fits into the hosel.

Thru Bore
This is when the hosel hole goes all the way through the sole of the club head. Callaway's are renowned for this.

Blind Bore
Wooden heads and some composite heads have a hosel bores that extend to within 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the sole plate, but do not go completely through. This hosel bore depth is usually around 4 inches."

How long has Nike been doing golf??

Sorry, but ask any "old" clubmaker. And do some extra googles.

Let's start with Golfworks shall we??.........

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_139

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 7:39 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Dillon wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
From Nike:

"Standard Bore

Thru Bore

Blind Bore

Dillon

Huh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 11:02 am 

OK, I looked at link posted by Dillon and the hozel on the Power Pod II is similar to the picture of the "standard bore" except that it goes up much higher. When the shaft is seated to the bottom of the hozel the tip of the shaft is about an inch above the top of the head. So to get the finished club length down to 48" I will have to but trim at least that much. Big Change in the flex or not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 11:05 am 

DrGreen wrote:
Dillon wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
From Nike:

"Standard Bore

Thru Bore

Blind Bore

Dillon

Huh?

Knowing how to trim your Aldila Gamer hybrid shaft from 2007 isn't helpful? Geez, whaddya want? :lol:

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 8:34 am 

Well, I bought a new Power Pod cheap, glued in the Pro LD and had to butt trim about an inch. I hope it doesn't stiffen the flex enough as to make it unusable for me. Have to wait for spring to find out.
I also put a Jumbo Max medium on it. Just curious about those. Time will tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 6:41 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
Dillon wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
From Nike:

"Standard Bore

Thru Bore

Blind Bore

Dillon

Huh?

Knowing how to trim your Aldila Gamer hybrid shaft from 2007 isn't helpful? Geez, whaddya want? :lol:

Quit reading everything laid in front of you. Look at some pics for a change :lol: . (That was the intent of the link.)

Dillon

Profile E-mail