It is currently July 18th, 2018, 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot melted?
PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 3:36 pm 

I've seen the term "Hot Melted" used several times when talking about how a driver had been custom built by a master club fitter. What does it mean???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hot melted?
PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 3:43 pm 

in simple terms the builder adds hotmelt to the inside of the clubhead to alter the weighting of the head to enhance the playing characteristics to meet the needs of the buyer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 3:51 pm 

How do they get the hot melt glue into the head without foulng up the hozel?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 4:40 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

carry&roll wrote:
How do they get the hot melt glue into the head without foulng up the hozel?

IT used to be easy on Callaway heads they always had a small hole in the sole plate,that you could put it down, same as getting a rattle out; drill a hole in the sole and put in the goop. The problem with any of this it always adds weight to the head. :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 1:03 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Rat glue IMO is better. Not rattle stop, rat glue.

Hot Melt can break apart and rattle in your head. Rattle stop is sticky like Rat Glue, but can move around your club head.

Rat Glue is a think sticky substance. Not toxic, but if it gets on your clothes it stays. At the old forum one of the sponsors there gave instructions on how to use it. I have done it several times in club heads with good results, its a chore.

I bought a paint bucket of the stuff 5 years ago, and it may last me 20+ years lol! Bought it from a pest control company online.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 7:01 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

The serious clubmakers use heated dispensing systems where they also have control on the flow. It allows them to be very accurate as to high much weight is added.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:37 am 

I usually degrease the inside of the head by rinsing it out with a good solvent. Then I mix powdered lead or bismuth with 24 hour epoxy and dribble it in through the hozel. I clean the epoxy out of the hozel with a rag on a picollo cleaning rod wetted with denatured alchohol. Then I set the head on a bean bag in such a position so the epoxy settles where I want it and let it set. This way I can get the weight positioned anywhere inside the head -centered in the sole or in th toe or the heel or at the back. So far I haven't had any break free or rattle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 1:46 pm 

I've had more than one head rat glued. I think the way he gets it in there depended on the head. Some already have a small hole in the sole from the factory. Some he goes through the hosel. Some have had other ways of getting in there like through removable weight ports, etc. He's really attentive to detail and sometimes will rat glue instead of just changing out a weight if there is too big a difference in the available weights for the weight ports to hit an exact swingweight. Sounds messy and I let him go at it.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 4:32 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

I go through the hosel with Rat Glue. I melt the rat glue with my heat gun and pour it in the head through the hosel. after I have the right amount of glue in the head, I'll heat up the whole head and position the head so the glue will go where I want it to. It's worked well in every driver head I've used it in. It muted the heck out of an old fw wood head I tried it in. The performance and weight felt fine, but the fw wood head was quiet...too quiet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 14th, 2012, 1:27 pm 

CPanther1995 wrote:
I go through the hosel with Rat Glue. I melt the rat glue with my heat gun and pour it in the head through the hosel. after I have the right amount of glue in the head, I'll heat up the whole head and position the head so the glue will go where I want it to. It's worked well in every driver head I've used it in. It muted the heck out of an old fw wood head I tried it in. The performance and weight felt fine, but the fw wood head was quiet...too quiet.

I never had such a quiet head as a Ping Rapture with the composite top with some rat glue inside. Thing is almost silent. :lol: