It is currently January 22nd, 2018, 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shaft Flex
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 10:45 am 

Is there a general rule of thumb if a shaft is too stiff or not stiff enough? (too stiff you'll hook it too often)
I've heard so many things and I'm not sure what is right.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm having problems hitting a draw with my driver. I'm sure it's somewhat swing related, but I can hit a draw with my other clubs when I need too. My common go to shot is a slight fade with it. Whenever I really try to draw or hook it, I hit ugly duck pull hooks.

I'm really hoping it's the shaft. I have the Aldila Phenom shaft (thanks Steve!) that I can put in to try, but I wanted some advice first.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shaft Flex
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 11:07 am 

Easy to come over the top and pull it if a shaft is too stiff. If it's too soft, you should still be able to slow the swing down a little and be able to load it and will likely see a draw with the softer shaft.
Too stiff I find nets many more swing flaws in an attempt to load it.

You have a Phenom to try? Yeah. Play it. :crazy:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 12:04 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
Easy to come over the top and pull it if a shaft is too stiff. If it's too soft, you should still be able to slow the swing down a little and be able to load it and will likely see a draw with the softer shaft.
Too stiff I find nets many more swing flaws in an attempt to load it.

You have a Phenom to try? Yeah. Play it. :crazy:

The only way I've ever been able to draw the ball is to really swing easy. Way too easy. So I'm guessing that means the shaft is too soft?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

olsonel14 wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb if a shaft is too stiff or not stiff enough? (too stiff you'll hook it too often)

Reason I'm asking is because I'm having problems hitting a draw with my driver. I'm sure it's somewhat swing related, but I can hit a draw with my other clubs when I need too. My common go to shot is a slight fade with it. Whenever I really try to draw or hook it, I hit ugly duck pull hooks.

I'm really hoping it's the shaft. I have the Aldila Phenom shaft (thanks Steve!) that I can put in to try, but I wanted some advice first.

MOST DEFIANTLY to stiff you hit the ball with your hands & they are telling your brain to catch up and swing hard, hence over the top we go ! ALSO another culprit is TORQUE To much of it again will force your hands to work to hard.

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 7:08 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

GO4IT wrote:
olsonel14 wrote:

MOST DEFIANTLY to stiff you hit the ball with your hands & they are telling your brain to catch up and swing hard, hence over the top we go ! ALSO another culprit is TORQUE To much of it again will force your hands to work to hard.

Hmm :geek:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm 

DrGreen wrote:
GO4IT wrote:
olsonel14 wrote:

Hmm :geek:

Some folks are better off seen and not heard....and dat's da TROOF! :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 5:20 pm 

Wiped.

Last edited by SandersLongdrive on July 25th, 2012, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 6:46 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

:givebeer:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 4:31 am 

Following multiple golf trips to the U.S.A. that is the closest I've come to being bought a pint. Albeit a cyber pint. Possibly American golfers are different to longdrive competitors - they don't bite the heads off live chickens, and possibly even keep proper scores?

Or maybe my verbose post drove the Doc. to drink?

Anyway its good to see native American customs becoming more widespread - sign language and smoke signals.

Or it could be that the Doc. isn't American, which would explain everything. Or possibly not. Hmmm...

Communicating in these obtuse riddles is fun. I like it. Shall we try poetry next?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 6:09 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

This is your brain on drugs
Or is it a brain that should be on them?

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 6:26 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

I'm getting a very clear picture of why you have been tossed from a number of LD sites Sanders. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 7:39 am 

Sanders may be a bit a bit odd but the info, although long winded, is pretty good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 9:11 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Since I've been on a steady diet of Aldila for a few years, with a little HOF thrown in and an occasional Prolaunch Blue Here's my take. It's simple, I lose control if it's too soft and lose distance if it's too stiff OR slice badly because I'm not closing the club face on contact. That's me, your results may vary.

First time I owned a Patriot for example, I ordered it in R. I put it in a DCT and I was all over the place. Not just to the left but also to the right. Then I discovered R is 80-90 MPH ss rated, S is 90-100 MPH ss rated - same swing speed rating as the R Flex VS Proto, my all time favorite go to shaft.

Aldila DVS, R flex sometimes good, but then I lose control just like with the Patriot. S flex right on the money. S is 90-100 MPH ss rated.

Most 80-90 mph swing speed shafts are too loose for me, but you have to take torque and tip stiffness into account too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 12:34 pm 

GO4IT wrote:
olsonel14 wrote:

MOST DEFIANTLY to stiff [color=#BF0000]you hit the ball with your hands & they are telling your brain to catch up and swing hard, hence over the top we go ! ALSO another culprit is TORQUE To much of it again will force your hands to work to hard.
[/color]

Ummm I see a lot of involvement of the legs, core, and other major muscle groups contributing more than the hands. All the power comes from the legs and core anyway. This myth I hear old timers continuing all the time about needing "big forearms" and whatnot just makes me chuckle. I heard an old timer just a week ago citing this for all the hear. His swing was awful, of course. :lol:

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 12:41 pm 

I'm gone. Post wiped. You Americans are SO friendly.

Profile E-mail