It is currently August 19th, 2018, 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A little shaft bling - brass ferrule with inlay
PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 7:18 am 

I received the new driver head I ordered and realized I not only didn't have any ferrules, I didn't even have any of the derlin plastic stock that I've made ferrules from in the past. My brother-in-law was expecting to hit his new driver this Sunday. So I looked around the shop and found a piece of round brass stock and went to work. I never turned a reverse taper before, so this was interesting. When the basic shape was done and it was starting to look like this might actually work, I decided to turn some cuts in the outside diameter and inlay them with a color to match the shaft I was going to install. I finished it off with a little 1000 grit wet dry and shot it with polyurathane so it won't tarnish.
Drgreen is going to post a pic later on today. I think it turned out pretty cool.
After it was done I started thinking....... If I wanted to increase the swing weight of a club I could make a solid brass ferrule any size or diameter I wanted. Longer length and/or larger diameter. What do you think, good idea or not?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A little shaft bling - brass ferrule with inlay
PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 7:57 am 

Sounds very interesting. I'm not sure it would be much different than adding a weight plug in the tip of the shaft, just prettier!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Here ya go

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 3:48 pm 

look pretty good to me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 10:45 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Carry & Roll brought up something I hadn't thought about ......he said; "if I decide to change out the shaft, removing the ferrule could be a little more difficult than it normally is". :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 12:30 pm 

Wow, that looks really nice! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm 

Very very nice half ring ferrule. Well done. Equally importantly it appears to fit flush with the top hosel line. I would be happy to buy these if I knew how to fit to the hosel so smoothly.

But as regards head weighting via a heavy hosel:

Head weighting is something I am particularly interested in. Indeed I spent close to four years carrying out well over a hundred experiments.

Together with speciality headweighting and a 'bamboo' T3 shaft, built into a custom competition driver, I believe that such was instrumental in enabling G.S. to win the Seniors' World Longdrive title in 2010 and break the world champs. record en route. Our pre-competition testing evidenced a very significant hitting distance increase directly attributable to this.

Without going into technicalities, adding weight around the bottom of the shaft is most certainly not the way to go. As a starting point, it needs to be placed back centre of the head.

I hope that helps.

Anyway, I very much admire your work!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 3:37 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

SandersLongdrive wrote:
Very very nice half ring ferrule. Well done. Equally importantly it appears to fit flush with the top hosel line. I would be happy to buy these if I knew how to fit to the hosel so smoothly.

But as regards head weighting via a heavy hosel:

Head weighting is something I am particularly interested in. Indeed I spent close to four years carrying out well over a hundred experiments.

Together with speciality headweighting and a 'bamboo' T3 shaft, built into a custom competition driver, I believe that such was instrumental in enabling G.S. to win the Seniors' World Longdrive title in 2010 and break the world champs. record en route. Our pre-competition testing evidenced a very significant hitting distance increase directly attributable to this.

Without going into technicalities, adding weight around the bottom of the shaft is most certainly not the way to go. As a starting point, it needs to be placed back centre of the head.

I hope that helps.

Anyway, I very much admire your work!

Mr Longdrive - I see that you are still claiming to have 10 No Brainers and that you can ship them in 31 working days? :pigsfly:

Profile E-mail