It is currently December 28th, 2014, 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adding weight to a driver
PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 9:58 pm 

I think I need to add a little weight to my driver.....first I am going to experiment with lead tape, but once I figure out how much weigh to add, should just yank the grip and pour some lead/tungsten powder down the shaft? or will there be an issue with the shaft being graphite? I don't want to pull the shaft unless I have to....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Adding weight to a driver
PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 11:16 pm 

You could go with powder. Just make sure to plug it good so it doesn't move around at all. But if it's assembled already, the best way to add weight will be lead tape. But if it would take too much, the next best thing would be the powder, and then after that would be just to pull it apart and add weight inside the head.

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 11:28 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

DaveT319 wrote:
You could go with powder. Just make sure to plug it good so it doesn't move around at all. But if it's assembled already, the best way to add weight will be lead tape. But if it would take too much, the next best thing would be the powder, and then after that would be just to pull it apart and add weight inside the head.

Dave

NO NO NO!!

Do not add lead powder to a graphite shaft unless you're looking to turn it into tomato stakes. That's going to create an internal shear point and snap the sucker.

Like it or not, if you want something more permanent than lead tape you have to pull the shaft. Either pull it now and do it right or pull it when it breaks and throw it away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 12:20 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

RickB wrote:
DaveT319 wrote:

Dave

NO NO NO!!

Do not add lead powder to a graphite shaft unless you're looking to turn it into tomato stakes. That's going to create an internal shear point and snap the sucker.

Like it or not, if you want something more permanent than lead tape you have to pull the shaft. Either pull it now and do it right or pull it when it breaks and throw it away.

RICK is rite hear, remove the shaft they have weights that go into the tip of the shaft, do lead tape first to find out how much weight you want to use, then by the tip weight that is that weight. & your good to GO !

RICHARD <><<

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 12:39 am 

Well, I never claimed to be an expert. Guess you really do learn something new every day.

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 6:59 am 

Tip weights are the cleanest, hot melted rat glue mixed with tungsten powder works great if you need it in a specific spot.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 9:44 am 

If you really like the feel after applying lead tape just leave it there. The exact amount of weight you used for lead tape on the external part of the club will not likely feel the same inside the club tip weight or not. Going too heavy will change the characteristics of the shaft as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 6:22 pm 

ND Fan wrote:
Going too heavy will change the characteristics of the shaft as well.

This crossed my mind a couple times....does anyone know a good rule of thumb concerning the amount of weight that can be added before the shaft is affected? I am looking to add ~5 grams (it will get my FS3 closer to the same swing weight as my old Snake Eyes driver).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2010, 10:16 pm 

yaffldaffl wrote:
does anyone know a good rule of thumb concerning the amount of weight that can be added before the shaft is affected? I am looking to add ~5 grams (it will get my FS3 closer to the same swing weight as my old Snake Eyes driver).

0 grams. Any weight added will have some effect.

The ratio I've heard is that 2 grams = 1 cpm. So 5 grams = 2.5 cpm or about a quarter of a flex. It's not something you'd notice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:39 pm 

Okay, so I am thinking that I may want to go with a heavier shaft. The FS3 has an SK Fiber PE shaft (62 grams, 48"). I am thinking to go with a shaft that weighs in at ~65 grams at ~46". I have a few shafts on my radar, but I am looking for other suggestions....anything under $50 that I should be looking at??

I do have some lead tape on order, so I will give that a try first.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:51 pm 

Graman M-65: R/S flex is 68g @ 47", goes for $25.95 at Victory Custom Golf.
http://www.victorycustomgolf.com/produc ... -wood.aspx

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm 

DaveT319 wrote:
Graman M-65: R/S flex is 68g @ 47", goes for $25.95 at Victory Custom Golf.
http://www.victorycustomgolf.com/produc ... -wood.aspx

Dave

hmmm....torque is a little high (as if that really means anything), but everything else looks goof....that is one that is definitely going on the short list.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 9:34 am 

Come on, go with an 85 gram shaft! I will bring the Hibore XL I got from DocGreen to Pismo that has a heavy Oban Devotion shaft in it and weighs in at a swingweight of E2 and see what you think.
http://www.golfbiztalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1087

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 2:07 pm 

Wait, I just realized you are not the same person as "yadadaiholla" at GD. Sorry. I saw the y, a, l and d in the user name and got confused!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 4:28 pm 

SVonhof wrote:
Wait, I just realized you are not the same person as "yadadaiholla" at GD. Sorry. I saw the y, a, l and d in the user name and got confused!

85 gram shaft huh.....that is possibility.....but for now, I am expanding the search to 65-72 gram

Profile E-mail