It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swingweight versus Static Weight
PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 9:13 am 

What's more important, swingweight or static weight?

My irons are the '09 X-Forged with the Project X Flighted shafts. At standard length the swingweight is D2. I purchased them at +1 so I am thinking the swingweight is D8? The grips are 50 grams.

I've had some elbow problems and am looking for a softer grip, and I would also like to make the club lighter. I was thinking of a 25 gram Winn Lite soft grip.

But this is where I get confused. A 25 gram grip would increase the swingweight to E4? But the static weight would decrease by 25 grams. So, the overall club is lighter, but the swingweight is much heavier. [I understand swingweight to mean how the weight is distributed thoughout the club].

Would the club will swing lighter because I reduced the static weight even though the swingweight is "heavier"?

I could fool the swingweight scale by using a heavier grip and even adding weight to the butt end of the club, but then the static weight would be much higher.

What do you think would be easier on my elbows a lighter static weight or a "lighter" swingweight?

I could switch to graphite, but a) I really don't have the money to invest in that right now, b) I prefer steel, c) a softer grip would help reduce vibration, and d) I'm guessing a lighter club would reduce the strain as well.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have on this. :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Swingweight versus Static Weight
PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 11:44 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

1st thing I would recommend to take the sting out is Prosoft inserts in the butt end of ea shaft.

As far as the whole swing weight vs static weight thing, I need to let others chime in. I do believe personally whatever weight feels best for you, that's what you need.

Here's an example. I built a set of Snake Eyes Viper Ti irons for myself, used Aldila Gamer graphite shafts. Added tip weights and hosel weights (SE has the hosel weight ports) where I needed to, to get the swingweight equal to my Callaway X-16's. The swingweights were either equal to or heavier than the Callaway's, but the static weight was still lighter. The feel was not the same. For the feel I wanted I needed the static weight and sw of the Callaways. Looking back, if I had used more patience I may have gotten used to the lighter weight irons.

Drivers - I have used divers that have ranged anywhere from C7 to D6 SW wise. Since I have been using Geek more than any other brand, and usually the same type weighted shafts ( 60-65 gr approx sometimes 70) D2 to D4 seems to work the best for me. The static weight for the drivers I've used to most lately is almost always the same. Bottom line, the combo's I;ve been using the most have the feel I want.

I own a Mizuno Bettinardi A-02 mallet putter. Very similar size wise to my old Odyssey 2 ball white steel. 22 gr less static weight than the Odyssey, but feel wise it is almost identical.

You can do calculations all day, and use swightweights and static weighs as a good estimator on what works best for you. In the long run, it's the feel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Swingweight versus Static Weight
PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 4:06 pm 

You're right, it is about feel. I have a Geek FS3 and with the new grip the SW will go from C7 to D2, which is what I want as I'd like to feel the head a bit more.

I like to feel the heads of my irons and the lighter grip, which will increase the SW, should allow me to do that. At the same time the static weight will be lighter, which is what I want as well. We'll see how it goes.

As to my putter I am adding 1.5 inches in length. I've finally admitted to myself that I can't play a 33", 34" or 35" putter, no matter what conventional wisdom says. This should bring my putter to E7. I hope that gives me more feel as well.

I find out soon enough how it goes. :-)

Profile E-mail