It is currently December 12th, 2017, 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Faster tempo = more distance?
PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm 

Ingrained in every golfers head is " low and slow" or " slow backswing". I can't believe I never noticed this before but does anybody at the Remax WLDC have a slow backswing??? Noooo, not one person. Their backswings are faster than some people's downswings.

So last night at work I asked our pro if he thought a person could increase clubhead speed by increasing backswing speed. I got the puzzled look and he said lets try it.

It works...and in some instances it helps accuracy. People got back slow and then throw everything out of whack trying to suddenly triple their speed in the downswing. I took an 8 iron and right off the bat hit it better and 7-9 yards further. I never realized how slow my backswing had become and as a result found my distance loss. It actually felt better to me to be faster.

Driver....same thing faster back meant faster through and 5-7 mph more ball speed, 15 yards more carry. Like the irons, it felt great.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Faster tempo = more distance?
PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 9:35 pm 

i read once that the important thing was a 2:1 ratio between back and through swings

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm 

All I can say is try this:

First take a slow backswing and then try to swing fast on the downswing... feels weird right? You can feel everything in your backswing? That's too slow.
Now try going back fast and through fast... feels natural right? Its because you don't have time to think about anything.

2:1 ratio... yes, thats what I grew up learning. Works fine... and maybe you already have a fast backswing. The LD guys, maybe it is 2:1, since they swing at 140 mph makes the backswing look fast. All I know is that by swinging back faster it increased my ball speed both with the irons and the driver. Maybe I went back faster and through alot faster and got to 2:1.

I just think when we think tempo, alot of us slow down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm 

I don't like going too fast on my backswing as I feel like it causes me to loose control of the club a little. I would rather take a slow-ish backswing and get the club in the correct location before going forward. I don't think my backswing is slow by any means, but it's slow enough for me to feel the position and if I get it in the slot, I can feel it and then unleash the fury.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 10:47 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

SVonhof wrote:
I don't like going too fast on my backswing as I feel like it causes me to loose control of the club a little. I would rather take a slow-ish backswing and get the club in the correct location before going forward. I don't think my backswing is slow by any means, but it's slow enough for me to feel the position and if I get it in the slot, I can feel it and then unleash the fury.

:agree:
totally agree - club has to set at top and then go forward

tempo- timing - basically
you take it back slow and set and then you can go forward as fast as you want
see to many going back fast and bouncing the head and unable to square it up and.......**** this is why I see so many longdrivers using 4X shafts tipped 3" -not right shafts at all to optimize distance but - backswing is so aggressive and shafts can be so unstable they have no choice

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 12:18 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Neil - in watching the telecast, I see some balls get a lot more roll than others. Why? ......head, shaft, the swing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 6:31 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

spin rate is down - combination head and shaft - aoa - all combined-
personally - I like the old 'mass' equation - got to have some mass in the head especially- saw tons of 'killed' balls at worlds with 2-3 hops and hardly any roll at all
even tho guys posted big numbers on machines in testing- real life hitting on the grid showed no good results - machines are not the tell all- sound isnt either

trick for finals this week will be to get some roll out with guys hitting off of an elevated platform!
some I'm sure are setting up for 'all carry'
It will be really interesting to see how guys hahave there clubs setup either lower loft/stiffer shaft- whatever
I've made sure to have every possible combo setup for Patrick Hopper - now let's see what wind and conditions will do!
I've tried a few little things so we will see!

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 8:20 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

In Mesquite Neil, were there "hot spots" on the grid?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 9:22 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Neather fast or slow; good timing is what works ! MY self its a very calm 1 / 2 / 3 This gives you time to put your body & the club head in position to make good contact Not 1/2/3 :roll:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 9:49 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

DrGreen wrote:

certain spots benefit different ball flights just like the wind is a factor - the painted logo areas didnt give out much roll
those that recognize conditions and can actually have some control to their shots benefit

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 7:15 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

pgw wrote:
DrGreen wrote:

certain spots benefit different ball flights just like the wind is a factor - the painted logo areas didnt give out much roll
those that recognize conditions and can actually have some control to their shots benefit

So the better players were aiming to those spots?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 7:31 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

DrGreen wrote:
pgw wrote:
DrGreen wrote:

So the better players were aiming to those spots?

you have better players that can fill it up and pick pretty much where they want it to go
you have longer players that will make 1 out of 6 that can't control as good
then you have the limited number of guys that have both the length and control -

best to go in with a shot for all conditions and see what the grid and conditions will give up - same with clubs- be prepared

common reply among guys- 'I just need 1 to win' which a lot of times translates to 'I hope I get 1 in!'

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 9:48 am 

I think it was the first telecast where one of the LDers went to the Callaway testing center, I found it very amazing how they dialedl him in. He ended having his driver loft reduced to 3.5 and added a lot of weight to the toe of his driver. Ithink Callaway has one person deicated to the Long Drivers now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 30th, 2013, 9:53 pm 

I used to do the 1/2/3 thing....1/2 works better for me anyway. Just thought it might be worth a try for some of you.

Like I said, I immediately picked up over 5 MPH of ball speed ...played the other day, more distance and no loss of accuracy. Being a +3 I'm not just beating it around .

Neil, what are some of the tempo numbers for LD,'ers? I remember mine being think 1.4 - 1.7 years ago. Don't have anything to measure it right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 31st, 2013, 3:51 pm 

Played 9 today, cloudy with temps in the low 50's. Having no time to think during my backswing is a plus. Hitting it past where it goes in the summer. In fact on our par 5 it was 30 -40 yards past where we were looking. All I think of is " fast back".

Profile E-mail