It is currently May 22nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: keep or give it back?
PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 9:00 am 

Thursday Dsquare, ND fan, Frank and I are in our annual golf outing for my cousin's charity. We pay our own way in and in the past I have sponsored a hole ($100). On every par 3 there is a 50/50 raffle you can buy chances on.

2012 we got 3rd place so we received $100 proshop money and I won 93 and Frank won 78. 2013 we tied for 2nd but lost the tie breaker so we received $100 proshop money and no one won a 50/50 but Dsquare snagged a new TM bag. However, last year someone started the "give it back" cheer.

Since we pay our own entry fee plus ND and Frank drive a long way for this tournament I am not sure about "giving it back."

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: keep or give it back?
PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 9:13 am 

If you have a vested interest in this charity then I would say yes, but if you are doing this out of the kindness of your heart but don't have a vested interest, I say keep whatever you win or if nothing else, get back what you put in to play and give back the rest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 9:57 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

KEEP IT :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 10:12 am 

Keep it, the charity benefits from our participation. I 've had this happen before, all the fuckers who don't win want you to give it back. A couple years ago I won around $1000 in a charity event that raised $90,000. When I went up to accept the 50/50 money the chant began... I looked one guy right in the eye and said if you pony up $1000 right now I'll give it back. I said this loud enough for several people to hear me. The chanting stopped. Putting your money where mouth is, is easy when it's someone else's money. I got a new putter Mike!! Taylormade ghost, apparently there are enough guys scared of the new the rule that you can buy these things cheap. This one was basically brand new and $30 shipped, Probably a $250 putter last year. Love it so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 10:30 am 

What will be the incentive for people to play in tournaments benefiting causes if no one gets a prize of any kind? That's always been built into the financial side of things for any charity dealio I've heard of. Yes, people are very cavalier about money or prizes that are not their own. Only had one time where I was part of a group that won some decent change- $600. (All of the skins tied except for the hole our team Eagled.) We gave $400 back and kept $50 for each of us. Paid our entry. My drive and 3W got us the Eagle chance. I didn't feel bad at all.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 11:43 am 

ND Fan wrote:
Keep it, the charity benefits from our participation. I 've had this happen before, all the fuckers who don't win want you to give it back. A couple years ago I won around $1000 in a charity event that raised $90,000. When I went up to accept the 50/50 money the chant began... I looked one guy right in the eye and said if you pony up $1000 right now I'll give it back. I said this loud enough for several people to hear me. The chanting stopped. Putting your money where mouth is, is easy when it's someone else's money. I got a new putter Mike!! Taylormade ghost, apparently there are enough guys scared of the new the rule that you can buy these things cheap. This one was basically brand new and $30 shipped, Probably a $250 putter last year. Love it so far.

Hope the love lasts for another week :yahoo:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 18th, 2013, 10:08 am 

Worked great last night, made everything within reason.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 10:27 am 

ND Fan wrote:

I agree. It's easy for the losers to say "Give it back" and they get to feel good about themselves,too.
My wife's workplace holds a lot of 50/50's for charity. The "give it back " took hold and now nobody buys tickets.What's the sense,it's just a donation,and I'm sure most people already donate to causes they support. The idea of the 50/50 is to squeeze some bucks out of people who might not otherwise give,for whatever reason.

Profile E-mail