It is currently February 25th, 2018, 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Hi to all from Oren
PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 3:05 pm 

Oh, I thought of a few more things.

Oren, weren't you playing a long putter during the show? I am trying to remember back and seem to remember that as well as one of the contests where you had to chip from about 20-30 yards off the front of the green and you used your putter (to everyone's surprise and then hit it really well).

Also, I remember reading an article on the making of the Big Break and it was basically stating that they do the whole thing over a 2-3 week timeframe. That sounds pretty crazy knowing that it probably takes the majority of the day to film each episode. Does all this sound about right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 3:49 pm 

Quote:
Also, I remember reading an article on the making of the Big Break and it was basically stating that they do the whole thing over a 2-3 week timeframe. That sounds pretty crazy knowing that it probably takes the majority of the day to film each episode. Does all this sound about right?

Good question :popcorn:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 8:16 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
Honest to goodness, until some of the participants started showing up on some of the tours, the impression I was left with was that the contestants couldn't play a lick. Obviously not the case, but this show never impressed upon me the true skill of the participants. Is there room for improvement as to the show's content in your opinion?
Were you happy how you were portrayed? (Sorry, stopped watching after season 2.)

I felt the same way and was left wondering where they found these people. Then some alums got tour cards and even won on tour and my opinion completely changed. It was clear that the show didn't find bad players, they found good players and brought out the worst in them. It's got to be the comfort zone thing. These guys all know how to play a round of golf where you can overcome some bad shots and still post a good score. The Big Break format though is so alien to that, go hit a single 7-iron close or face elimination. That's tough. The only way people learn to deal with pressure is to face it often and in tournament golf you don't face a whole lot of do or die shots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 3:58 pm 

SKrinsky wrote:
mr_divots wrote:
Honest to goodness, until some of the participants started showing up on some of the tours, the impression I was left with was that the contestants couldn't play a lick. Obviously not the case, but this show never impressed upon me the true skill of the participants. Is there room for improvement as to the show's content in your opinion?
Were you happy how you were portrayed? (Sorry, stopped watching after season 2.)

I felt the same way and was left wondering where they found these people. Then some alums got tour cards and even won on tour and my opinion completely changed. It was clear that the show didn't find bad players, they found good players and brought out the worst in them. It's got to be the comfort zone thing. These guys all know how to play a round of golf where you can overcome some bad shots and still post a good score. The Big Break format though is so alien to that, go hit a single 7-iron close or face elimination. That's tough. The only way people learn to deal with pressure is to face it often and in tournament golf you don't face a whole lot of do or die shots.

Umm...if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. :lol:
The margin for making a cut on tour and winning is not a whole heckuva lot. I'm going to have to disagree there. EVERY shot you hit could mean not making the cut and going home for the week. When you've paid the bills to get you to the venue, etc, sure there is pressure. Must be a lot of it, in fact, if you have a young wife and children at home.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 1:53 pm 

So, I see Oren is back on the latest Big Break... They had the preview show which was introducing the players and they start showing the normal show on Oct 8.

Latest show is pairing a former NFL player with a male and female who didn't make it all the way from a previous season.

Profile E-mail