It is currently February 25th, 2018, 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hi to all from Oren
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 7:51 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

Justplaybetter wrote:
With regards to some earlier posts i want to make one thing very clear: Golf Channel makes this show as pure as possible. The number one thing that guides the production process is this: We want to see GOOD GOLF and it has to be real! With regards to equipement, they don't put any pressure on you to use one thing or another. You are free to use what you want and USGA rules apply. There are no incentives. Adams is very nice to offer the players clubs and service if they want to try them but they do not pay you to do it, they simply assume most guys and gals at this lavel will be more then happy to take advantage. Fortunately, i have years of relationships with golf companies that take care of my needs and appreciate my integrity in not abusing it.
With regards to play, they make it extremely fair and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and warmed up as much as possible. An outside legal team makes sure all is kept fair and equal. You do get hints when warming up but there is an element of surprise that is clearly essential.
With regards to editing. It is amazing how what you see is exactly what and how it happenned during shooting. This show is designed so well there is no need to add or edit. It makes itself. They might favor sponsor logo, yes, they make sure you don't look like a slob, yes, but they really stay true to the reality of what happenned.

Excellent! That's very informative, thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 7:53 pm 

CPanther1995 wrote:
Oren,

Have you hit the No Brainer yet?

I was playing the European PGA in Bulgaria last October when a funny thing happenned: During warm up for the pro am, this guy (amateur) spots my DCT and takes off running. He comes back out of breath and shows me the new No Brainer he got as a gift from a British bussiness associate. In Bulgaria!! Thats where i find out there is a new design that Steve never told me about... I hit a few with his, which unfortunately had a whippy shaft, but i loved the feel of the head. I called steve from Tel Aviv a week later and told him i need to try one.

Still waiting, Steve!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:00 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Justplaybetter wrote:
CPanther1995 wrote:
Oren,

Have you hit the No Brainer yet?

I was playing the European PGA in Bulgaria last October when a funny thing happenned: During warm up for the pro am, this guy (amateur) spots my DCT and takes off running. He comes back out of breath and shows me the new No Brainer he got as a gift from a British bussiness associate. In Bulgaria!! Thats where i find out there is a new design that Steve never told me about... I hit a few with his, which unfortunately had a whippy shaft, but i loved the feel of the head. I called steve from Tel Aviv a week later and told him i need to try one.

Still waiting, Steve!

Which color NB, Orange or Gray?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:12 pm 

yaffldaffl wrote:
Oren,
Any good Steve Almo stories?

Too many to count!

Steve and i have known eachother for the better part of 12 years now. I have been a loyal fan of his product and a golf shop i was involved with in Orlando sold quite a bit of it. I remember when he started Geek, i was on my way to a mini tour event driving my car as Steve was sharing some of his ideas for names of future clubs. At some point, standing at a red light, i was laughing so hard that my foot slipped from the brake and my car touched the car in front of me. After trying to explain to the lady what caused it, she decided i was nuts and let it go...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:17 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

Justplaybetter wrote:
Thats where i find out there is a new design that Steve never told me about... I hit a few with his, which unfortunately had a whippy shaft, but i loved the feel of the head. I called steve from Tel Aviv a week later and told him i need to try one.

Still waiting, Steve!

Look at the bright side, most of the rest of use found out about it 18 months before it finally got here and had to suffer through all the delays and design changes only to have it show up in the fall after the season was over. :angry:

JK, better late than never. :geek:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:19 pm 

Justplaybetter wrote:
Shankapotamus wrote:
Hi Oren, welcome!

A few non Big Break questions

What are your golf plans for 2013? Where will you be competing and which events are your primary focus?

What is your training and practice routine?

Please give us a complete WITB profile including shafts and flexes.

Thanks

This year i have recommitted myself to practicing better and SMARTER which means quality before quantity. Since i play a ton, i don't need to hit balls for repitition. Instead, i work on getting my weaker shot better from a technique point of view. I will be doing more short game this year since statisticly thats showing to be required.

Good to know it's the same for you as for the rest of us. No matter what level you are you need to have a short game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:34 pm 

Per earlier request for WITB:

Drivers: DCT 9* JLG X-flex 47 inches for open courses.
DCT 9* Mogun 70 X-flex 45 inches for tight courses and wind.
3 Woods: Ping i15 14* Grafalloy Prolite Fwy X-flex 43 inch.
Adams Fast 12 13* Ahina 70x 43 inch.
4 wood: Orlimar Trimetal Tour 16* Penley Stealth 70 X-flex 42 inch. (for real!)
Hybrid 3: Adams Problack 9031 20* Fubuki 465 X-flex
Irons 4-pw: Taylormade R9 Special Nickel no offset UST Proforce X-flex
Wedges 52*, 58*: Taylormade ZTP my own grind UST Tour Weight X-flex
Putter: Yes Sally

All clubs are D-3 swing weight with wedges at D-5. All V-55 full cord grips.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:39 pm 

Shankapotamus wrote:
Justplaybetter wrote:
Shankapotamus wrote:
Hi Oren, welcome!

A few non Big Break questions

What are your golf plans for 2013? Where will you be competing and which events are your primary focus?

What is your training and practice routine?

Please give us a complete WITB profile including shafts and flexes.

Thanks

This year i have recommitted myself to practicing better and SMARTER which means quality before quantity. Since i play a ton, i don't need to hit balls for repitition. Instead, i work on getting my weaker shot better from a technique point of view. I will be doing more short game this year since statisticly thats showing to be required.

Good to know it's the same for you as for the rest of us. No matter what level you are you need to have a short game.

I have been hitting 11-12 fairways a round at 290 and 14-15 greens. The numbers don't lie. I need to make more putts and chip better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 9:32 pm 

I'm out. Thank you all for your interest and comments. Wishing all a great year!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 9:35 pm 

Would you say there is enough golf "action" that happens during the taping of these shows where they could show more of some actual golf and less "drama" and interviews between each shot? Honest to goodness, until some of the participants started showing up on some of the tours, the impression I was left with was that the contestants couldn't play a lick. Obviously not the case, but this show never impressed upon me the true skill of the participants. Is there room for improvement as to the show's content in your opinion?
Were you happy how you were portrayed? (Sorry, stopped watching after season 2.)

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 7:35 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Very interesting read .........I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to participate in this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 3:33 pm 

I missed out on this as well.

Oren, if you come back on and read these and maybe make a few more responses, congrats on your success so far and good luck in the future as well! I enjoyed watching when you were on the BB.

Interesting comments about everything. Glad to hear that they try to keep it as fair as possible and as real as possible with both the contestants and the way things play out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 11:10 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
Would you say there is enough golf "action" that happens during the taping of these shows where they could show more of some actual golf and less "drama" and interviews between each shot? Honest to goodness, until some of the participants started showing up on some of the tours, the impression I was left with was that the contestants couldn't play a lick. Obviously not the case, but this show never impressed upon me the true skill of the participants. Is there room for improvement as to the show's content in your opinion?
Were you happy how you were portrayed? (Sorry, stopped watching after season 2.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 12:08 am 

mr_divots wrote:

Thanks. I understand. There are a few things you might not be considering:

1. We have had 18 seasons of this show. You stopped watching after two. That's kind of like me teeing it up with you and leaving after two holes claiming i don't like your game... On a serious note, i think they have done a great job improving the show over time from one season to the next, both with the quantity balancing of the "extra" and "behind the scenes" material and the pure golf and also with the picking of the cast. They also have many more applicants to pick from now which makes it better. There is more humor as well. Had you gotten hooked on one of the recent seasons, you would have noticed this.

2. This is a reality show and the "extra behind the scenes" material is part of what makes it different and interesting. If the show was just golf shots, why wouldn't you just watch the daily tour event where the quality is surely going to be the highest. Frankly, i find it boring anymore to watch a bunch of rich guys play for more money with absolutely no pressure and a decreasing appreciation of the fans and media (majors are excluded, those are great). Here you get people who's lives and careers are on the line, this opportunity means the world to them, there is no next week's start, the pressure is high, they let you in to their mind and heart, There are unique challanges. It's interesting. Also, the "extra behind the scenes" material is more tasteful and to the point then other reality shows on other channels.

3. Don't be quick to judge the contestents golf games. It is very very hard to produce good golf in this setting. Granted, these guys want to play on tour and the Golf Channel makes a supreme effort to help them get comfortable, but the competition is designed to test you to the limit of your technical and Mental ability. There are no mulligans. You are truly naked in front of the whole golfing world, your family and friends included. Most club champions would play terrible golf under these conditions. When Hunter Mahan flat flubbed his chip at the Ryder Cup, Furik and Stricker three putting to lose, do you now think they "can't play a lick"? These are the best golfers in the world! All in all, Big Break has produced some amazingly good golf over the years under very demanding conditions.

4. This show has come back 18 times! There is a reason. People watch. They do it well.

As far as to how i was portrayed, i was not portrayed. They just film you as you are and i was myself. I love who i am.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 3:01 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

"As far as to how i was portrayed, i was not portrayed. They just film you as you are and i was myself. I love who i am.' said Oren.

...and to think I always wished I was Clint Eastwood...LOL!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next