It is currently December 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Training device - Orange Whip
PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 5:41 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

I took a lesson on Thursday and the Pro used this as a training device. I thought the thing worked very well and ended up buying one from him.

Has anyone ever used one?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Training device - Orange Whip
PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 5:59 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

DrGreen wrote:

I'll give it a try when you sell it. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 8:48 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

I have a UST Easy Flex shaft on a driver head that will be up for sale shortly :geek:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 9:06 am 

DrGreen wrote:

I took a lesson on Thursday and the Pro used this as a training device. I thought the thing worked very well and ended up buying one from him.

YOU must mean these....

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7np_k7ZOAEMA3mJXNyoA/SIG=120he3h7c/EXP=1320616959/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=SRp8GrXffhA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 1:40 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

Typhoon wrote:

LOL, I can't hear "orange whip" without thinking of that scene. Such a fun movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 3:35 pm 

I"ve seen them, Doc, tried one at a PGA Tour Superstore, just don't know it's various uses. I thought it was used more like a speed stick or a Whippy Tempomaster -- which I have. The Whippy is great for tempo and you can hit balls with it.

The Whip seems more like an exercise, flexibility, and tempo trainer without hitting balls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 5:45 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Desmond wrote:
I"ve seen them, Doc, tried one at a PGA Tour Superstore, just don't know it's various uses. I thought it was used more like a speed stick or a Whippy Tempomaster -- which I have. The Whippy is great for tempo and you can hit balls with it.

The Whip seems more like an exercise, flexibility, and tempo trainer without hitting balls.

You have a very good understanding of TGM so you will know exactly what I'm talking about. When I'm playing well, my swing bottom will be around 4" in front of the ball. To get that feel I normally need to hit a bunch of practice balls in order have it for an entire round. I'm hoping that this tool will let me cut down on that practice time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2011, 9:56 pm 

DrGreen wrote:
Desmond wrote:

You have a very good understanding of TGM so you will know exactly what I'm talking about. When I'm playing well, my swing bottom will be around 4" in front of the ball. To get that feel I normally need to hit a bunch of practice balls in order have it for an entire round. I'm hoping that this tool will let me cut down on that practice time.

I understand ... it will also loosen you up.

SInce that is also a problem for me, loosening up and getting the swing in order for the first hole, I'll go to the PGA Tour Store and swing one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 7:39 am 

Is this the same as the Momentus Speed Woosh? I just watched their infomercial this morning!
http://www.momentusgolf.com/products/index.asp?id=27740

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 7:43 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

carry&roll wrote:
Is this the same as the Momentus Speed Woosh? I just watched their infomercial this morning!

I don't think so but it does look very similar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 12:14 am 

DrGreen wrote:
carry&roll wrote:

The big question is does either one of them really work or are they just different flavors of the same snake oil?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 1:16 pm 

SKrinsky wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
carry&roll wrote:

The big question is does either one of them really work or are they just different flavors of the same snake oil?

I tried the "Drive for Show" super light driver head training device. (anybody want to buy it?) Similar idea. Swing a real light club very fast a couple of times and then hit your own driver. It actually worked, sort of. I'd swing the light driver according to directions, then pick up my driver and hit a ball. The first couple of swings I'm sure I was swinging faster, but it seemed to be very temporary. Just for a couple of swings. Unfortunately you can't take 6 practice swings with a training club before each driver during a round.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 3:04 pm 

carry&roll wrote:
SKrinsky wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
carry&roll wrote:

I tried the "Drive for Show" super light driver head training device. (anybody want to buy it?) Similar idea. Swing a real light club very fast a couple of times and then hit your own driver. It actually worked, sort of. I'd swing the light driver according to directions, then pick up my driver and hit a ball. The first couple of swings I'm sure I was swinging faster, but it seemed to be very temporary. Just for a couple of swings. Unfortunately you can't take 6 practice swings with a training club before each driver during a round.

Actually you sort of can. As long as the club is selected as one of your 14 clubs and conforms to certain USGA rules like the bane on training grips it would be permissible according to Decision 4-4a/7

Quote:
4-4a/7 Carrying Weighted Training Club

Q. May a player carry a weighted training club in addition to the 14 clubs selected for the round?

A. No, but a weighted training club may be selected as one of 14 clubs carried by a player, provided it conforms with Rule 4-1 (e.g., an excessively-weighted driver head may breach the limit on Moment of Inertia — see Appendix II).

The Speed Whoosh uses an illegal grip and the Orange Whip might fail on weight/MOI basis, but you certainly could make one or both of them legal with a few mods or create a device that would accomplish the same thing and the would be permitted under the rules on training clubs. I don't think anyone would intentionally sacrifice a legit club for a training club, but maybe they would if it really helped.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 12:16 am 

SKrinsky wrote:
DrGreen wrote:
carry&roll wrote:

The Orange Whip is not light -- so it's not for speed training. It's more for flexibility, tempo, and for gaining the feeling of getting through the ball. The idea is to "swing through" instead of "hit."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 9:02 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

I like how this works so well that I just ordered one for my bride.

Profile E-mail