It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Is a driver that is adjustable important to you?
Poll ended at February 8th, 2013, 11:42 am
Important 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Not important 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
No opinion 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Adjustable drivers
PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 11:42 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Important, not important ........?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Adjustable drivers
PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 1:30 pm 

It raises as many questions for me as it answers. (Spine/flo orientation on the adjustable clubs.)
I have often asked my clubfitter to pick a head for me with the specs I wanted, so they turned out pretty well despite not being "adjustable."
My R11s I changed one setting on it when I got it and its been that way since. ONE.
I'm hitting it well enough the R1 doesn't look too impressive.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 2:15 pm 

The newest crop of adjustable's are sooooo adjustable that they are only offered in one stated loft and can be adjusted up and down in loft, lie, and face angle so much that it covers an extremely wide range. I think the manufacturers went this route because it's cheaper to manufacture. They only have to design and make one head, not multiples of the same head in different lofts. Nike and Cobra are on this donkey cart, not sure if anybody else is. Personally, I don't like the trend. But "If they build it, someone will buy"!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 4:43 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

To me, not important. I view adjustments and quick change shafts to be more of a fitting tool than an end-user tool. 99.9% of people do not make a consistent enough swing that adjusting a face angle a degree is going to do jack for them.

That being said, it looks like the handwriting is on the wall and adjustable drivers are here to stay because that's what sells.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 6:01 pm 

No adjustment wanted or needed here. Not that I'm that good, it's just that it wouldn't help me. I know my specs and I buy to that fit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
It raises as many questions for me as it answers. (Spine/flo orientation on the adjustable clubs.)

I have often asked my clubfitter to pick a head for me with the specs I wanted, so they turned out pretty well despite not being "adjustable."
My R11s I changed one setting on it when I got it and its been that way since. ONE.

I was not aware the shaft changes position in the adjustable headed clubs. Only the head changes, that I've seen.

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 7:49 pm 

I only like the adjustable drivers because if I stick to TM heads, I can just change shafts in and out with the wrench. Everything else stays Neutral. If all the adjustable drivers went away, I'd be happy with my DCT, 455, or V5LX.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 10:38 am 

I think it is more important for the club manufacturers and fitters than the common golfer. Of those that I know that can adjust their clubs, none have. However, I told my dad last time we were out playing that he SHOULD adjust his to decrease his loft since he was hitting his driver so high and is loosing out on distance.
So I am torn on the issue. I like the idea as a golfer but know that if I get a non-adjustable driver with the right specs, I don't need to adjust it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 2:04 pm 

Dillon wrote:
mr_divots wrote:

I was not aware the shaft changes position in the adjustable headed clubs. Only the head changes, that I've seen.

Dillon

Hmmm... I have the Ping Anser, R11s, R11, Cobra ZL Encore, S3 and the shaft does rotate. It's why so many of these shafts have graphics that go around the shaft now to help cover up this phenomena. Trying to think if the 910D3 I had was the same, but all of mine the shaft changes orientation when you adjust the hosels. It's why I mentioned it. :geek: The Cobra I have the tip set at the neutral location so it's consistent at least club to club if I swap heads and play it in neutral.

I think you'd need two floating cogs on the adapter to achieve shaft/head adjustability that kept the shaft alignment in place. I'm not up on the '13 offerings and if any of them have such a setup. The 910D3 had one floating cog and then the shaft adapter as the second "cog," so I think even that one the shaft moves.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 6:16 pm 

mr_divots wrote:
Dillon wrote:
mr_divots wrote:

Dillon

Hmmm... I have the Ping Anser, R11s, R11, Cobra ZL Encore, S3 and the shaft does rotate. It's why so many of these shafts have graphics that go around the shaft now to help cover up this phenomena. Trying to think if the 910D3 I had was the same, but all of mine the shaft changes orientation when you adjust the hosels. It's why I mentioned it. :geek: The Cobra I have the tip set at the neutral location so it's consistent at least club to club if I swap heads and play it in neutral.

I think you'd need two floating cogs on the adapter to achieve shaft/head adjustability that kept the shaft alignment in place. I'm not up on the '13 offerings and if any of them have such a setup. The 910D3 had one floating cog and then the shaft adapter as the second "cog," so I think even that one the shaft moves.

I had the Cobra S2 and when you changed the setting to open or closed, it is the head that is in a different position. Shaft alignment stays the same.

If the shaft rotates, how would the face angle/lie change?

Dillon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:59 pm 

Dillon wrote:
I had the Cobra S2 and when you changed the setting to open or closed, it is the head that is in a different position. Shaft alignment stays the same.

Dillon

It's all about the design of the parts. On the Nike (I got my wife a Machspeed with the Str8 Fit), the adapter has pitch and roll to it. Basically, the splines where the shaft mate to the head all go straight, but the shaft comes off at an angle from that and how you turn the shaft dictates what the head does when you hold the shaft in the normal manner.

The drivers with the dual adjustment (independent of each other) I believe do the same thing, but independent of each other, so that you can get the change in loft and lie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 3:52 pm 

Shaft orientation changes with the change of the setting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm 

Dillon wrote:
mr_divots wrote:
Dillon wrote:
mr_divots wrote:

Dillon

Dillon

With the head sitting on the ground (where it would be to play it at address,) if you change the setting, the shaft rotates with the adapter piece. They are glued together. They have to move together, and you might have noticed the shaft graphics were in a different place afterward? That head liked to open a little more when it was hovered and in the open position and that had to do with the adapter position. The face angle does not change statically.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 11:14 pm 

Don't own one and don't have any intention of owning one. I'd screw around with it too much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 8:52 am 

the best policy with an adjustable driver is the Ron Popeil plan... "set and forget it." If you are constantly adjusting it to suit the swing of the day you'll never gain in confidence in yourself, and that is light years more important than anything else in golf.

Profile E-mail