It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers or......
PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 7:13 am 

......Otherwise more commonly know as Muirfield.

I live in central Scotland 11 miles from Glasgow & 35 miles from Edinburgh so I'm extremly fortunate to have so fantastic golf courses which are a short drive from me.

Last week I had a couple of friends up visiting from London and Liverpool for a few days golfing and first on our list was Muirfield.

Now I've been lucky enough to play Muirfield 3 times before so I know the course very well and love ever visit.

The first thing about Muirfield is that if you don't know where it is you'd be very lucky to find it as it's not sign posted and I found that out the first time I played there. My TomTom said I'd arrived but I was on the main road out of Gullane with no golf course in sight.

Once you find the entrance road past some lovely houses you find the sign

Then the famous gate.

The clubhouse is very typical of the period and you'll find the design the same of hundreds of old courses.

As we were a 4 ball we had to start off from the 10th tee, there was a 4 ball of members teeing off in front of us and one other visiting party 4 ball apart from those 8 people we had the whole course to ourselves....millionaires golf.

The course itself was in good condition for the time of year but the greens had too much sand on them when they didn't require it, so that was a bit dissappointing. The rough was down so missing a fairway wasn't a bit issue unlike the last time I played there in the summer where the rought was knee high and you had to reload if you missed a fairway.

Anyway here some random pictures from our day..

Cheers

Image[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers or......
PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 5:55 pm 

My husband and I are planning a month long trip to Europe sometime in the next year and golf is certainly on our agenda. I have never played a "links" type course before and think it would be a cool experience. I could better have a feel for what the golfers are facing in the British Open. I loved all the pics too. Really got a feel for what the course is like. Is the golf apparel code any different over there? I certainly want to follow the proper etiquette when I am over there.

Last edited by LazyDaisy on December 14th, 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2011, 11:52 am 

Thanks for the pics, it sure looks tame in the winter time. Would not like to play it in the summer with high rough and 25-30 MPH winds. It sure is nice to go to a course and find you are almost alone. We always feel it is like owning your own course without the responsibility of the upkeep.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:50 am 

LazyDaisy wrote:
My husband and I are planning a month long trip to Europe sometime in the next year and golf is certainly on our agenda. I have never played a "links" type course before and think it would be a cool experience. I could better have a feel for what the golfers are facing in the British Open. I loved all the pics too. Really got a feel for what the course is like.

To be fair Miurfield isn't a proper links in my eye's as you're not close by the sea but it is a wonderful place to play golf.

If you're coming to Scotland let me know and I'll offer any advice I can to help you with your trip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:55 am 

Gus R wrote:
Thanks for the pics, it sure looks tame in the winter time. Would not like to play it in the summer with high rough and 25-30 MPH winds. It sure is nice to go to a course and find you are almost alone. We always feel it is like owning your own course without the responsibility of the upkeep.

Gus,

It is very tame with all the rough cut down, normally in the summer it's knee length and they bring the fairways in too so they are quite narrow.

Miurfield is rather special with the respect that the members don't pay anything for food or drink and the running costs are split annually between them all. So some years they're membership fees can be as little as £450 so around $700 :o this is thanks to the number of overseas visitors and competitions played there where the club makes a lot of money.

Other years the fees can be £3000+

Profile E-mail