All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Course at Wente Vinyards, Livermore, Ca
PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 3:12 pm 

http://www.wentegolf.com/golf/proto/wentegolf/

http://www.wentevineyards.com/images/he ... recard.pdf

From the web site:
Quote:
The Course at Wente Vineyards
More than a decade ago, Wente Vineyards and golfing great Greg Norman joined forces to create The Course at Wente Vineyards, a destination championship golf course that is one of the most beautiful and challenging in Northern California wine country. Located 45 minutes east of San Francisco, The Course's 18 championship holes play through the vineyards, rolling hills, and natural grasslands of the scenic Livermore Valley at Wente Vineyards. Designed for players of all levels, The Course at Wente Vineyards is host of the Wine Country Championship, the 5th stop on the PGA's Nationwide Tour.

As our club guest your memorable golfing experience will include first rate amenities, superb course conditioning, and exceptional guest service. Come find the best of golf and the best of California! Whether you join us for your next round, or become a Club Wente Member, The Course at Wente Vineyards will beckon you back to savor the experience again and again.

Course Details
The Course's 18 championship holes play through our vineyards, rolling hills, and scenic valleys. As you arrive at the first tee, the cliffs of Cresta Blanca and vistas of Livermore Valley come into view for the first time. From this magnificent vantage the course meanders through oak, cottonwood and sycamore trees; native grasslands; and of course, Wente Vineyards.

Classic features such as bentgrass greens, rye grass fairways, MacKenzie-style bunkers, and water hazards add to the challenge of the par-72 course. Open space surrounds the entire locale that includes over 200 feet of elevation change. The Course at Wente Vineyards, which might be described as golf as it was meant to be played, is open to the public. Fees include 18 holes, golf cart, complimentary practice balls, yardage guide and more.

Images from Microsoft Virtual Earth:

I played this course for my third time yesterday. What a treat. The course is in great condition except for the toasted greens because of the heat and low humidity we have been having lately.

In case you missed it, the Nationwide tour has been here twice and both times, I think the scores were even par or higher. It plays tough. When the pros are here, they let the rough grow really long and it can eat the golf balls up and when they are standing in it, it also looks like it ate their shoes and part-way up their shins. And that is just the second cut of rough...

If you have never played it, it is a true challenge from any tee, as I can attest with my 98 from the whites (I am currently a 22 handicap). This course does not lack on intimidation. The vinyards that can come into play on 11 holes, the elevation changes, the forced carries.... If you play the Nationwide tees (I don't think they normally have them set-up), the first hole has an elevation drop of about 120 feet and a forced carry of about 220 with O.B. right and left. If you play the white tees, it is relatively short at just over 5600 yards, but that should not let your ego get pumped... The short holes can be difficult. The 2nd hole is 254, but requires accuracy because of the trees and the traps. The fourth hole is really not bad as a driver hole, at 288, but left or right and the vinyards are in play. The 6th hole is a meager 265 yards, but if you want to try to drive it, you need to be accurate as well as have a high tee shot that would normally go around 300 because the green is about 40 feet above the tee box. O.B. is left all the way and if you go right, you are on the hillside in the long grass. The 10th hole is 256, but has a cliff along the right side with a 140 foot drop that goes all the way up and past the green.

The course is a challenge to say the least and will reward you for playing well, if you can play well on all holes. If you have a lapse of judgement, you can easilly make a double or worse. When the Nationwide tour was in town this year, one of the players was at -1 on Friday until he got to the 14th hole. He walked away +12 or something like that when he missed the green right and hacked away, hacked away, took an unplayable, hacked, unplayable, hacked, hacked, over.....

If you have $85 and want a challenge, this is your course. Oh yeah, if you are hungry afteward, I highly suggest walking over to the restaurant:
http://www.wentevineyards.com/restaurant/default.asp

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Course at Wente Vinyards, Livermore, Ca
PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 9:20 pm 

Dammit! Why didn't you call me? You know I'm not doing much of anything right now, and I've wanted to try this course out!

That's it, you're not my friend anymore!

:wink: :P

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 10:02 pm 

Oops, sorry, forgot to post that it was just copied from the other site.... I did play this course back in July and it was uuber-hot outside. Think 112 or so. I thought I was going to loose some skin when my leg touched the stainless steel on the side of the electric cart (edge where the floor is) because it was so hot from the sun.

It really is a great course and I would love to try it from a set of tees slightly further back as on the shorty holes, it would take away the desire to try to go for it and allow a more normal club selection. That's the one thing I don't like about it, there are four par 4's that are reachable if you are super accurate, but if you want to lay-up, you are probably going to be hitting a wedge or 9 iron.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 10:13 pm 

Ohhh, OK, all is forgiven then.

Yeah, you should check the wording when you copy-and-paste! :P

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 8:10 am 

BTW Dave, Thommy and Chris (wineguy) over at Partyoffour are thinking about going and playing Pasatiempo with the latest NCGA deal. They are thinking about a middle-of-the-week thing. I can't go as middle of the week is my time to work and I have no vacation time, but I did give Thommmy your e-mail addy just in case.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 2:30 pm 

I would love to, but $135 is just a little too steep for me right now. But that course is on my list of ones I want to play before I leave the area, whenever that happens.

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 11:50 pm 

What a great looking layout.

Profile E-mail