It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ko Olina Golf Club, Oahu, Hawaii (lots of pics)
PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 3:08 pm 

I figured I would post this from the other board as it may help people here as well.

I was in Oahu for vacation March of 2009 and staying at the Marriott Beach Club in Ko Olina with our friends in their timeshare (they traded from their Orlando timeshare to here). While there, I played the course that was across the street which was really nice: Image

I was paired up with two brothers and their dad. The brothers were about level golfers but the dad hit the ball short and couldn't keep up with the kids. I out-drove them on every hole, but had some bad shots that allowed them to score better, plus since I had rental clubs, I couldn't get used to the light and small putter as well as not having an iron longer than a 5. I had a hard time hitting the Burner 3 and 5 wood as well as the 4h rescue club. We all played the whites as they are 6400 yards and a slope of 130 which is plenty for most of us.

Hole 1, a short par 5 at 487 from the whites:
I hit a great tee shot, but didn't hit a good second, and had to struggle from short and left (under the trees) for my approach.

Hole 2 is a beautiful par 4 with water on the right:
I duffed/topped my tee shot and had a long way to go for my second shot and tried to help things along with a 3 wood which I topped as well. I then hit a great shot that happened to roll up to the green.

Hole 3 is a cool little par 4 and I killed the drive just short and right in the fairway. Chip on and two putt. One of the guys (he plays in bare-feet) hit his drive onto the wooden bridge that crosses the hazard:

Hole 4 is a nice little par 3:

Hole 5 is a 500 yard par 5 with water right for the first shot and water left on your approach:

Hole 6 is a cool par 4 with a nice carry over a ravine where I again killed the driver and left a short approach which I put about 15 feet away, but proceeded to miss:

Hole 7 is another par 4 going back the other way over the ravine. I hit a drive that went a little left and long, which meant I had to punch a hooking shot from under the trees that stopped just off the green on the left:

Hole 8 is one of their signature holes. A beauty of a par 3. My shot had so much back-spin that when it hit the back hill past the green, it came back and landed in the bunker. Those bunkers are strange for me, so I didn't play it right and walked away with a double:

Hole 9 is a nice par 4 that heads back to the clubhouse. The patrol from the course had come out to ask everyone to speed up even though the GPS told us we were on-pace and we were not holding anyone up. The guy who plays without shoes slipped on his "rental shoes" and left them on for the rest of the round, since they were also checking to make sure he was wearing the shoes:

Hole 10 is a nice dogleg par 4 with a cool water hazard on the right:

Hole 11 is a straight hole with O.B. on the right, which are train-tracks for some local train that is for tourists or something:

Hole 12 is their true signature hole, a nice par 3 with lots of water that is never in play unless you top it hard left and short:

Hole 13 is a par 5 with water right most of the way and a severly sloped green. I hit a great drive that just caught the rought on the left. I then popped up a 5-wood (I would have used my 2-iron if I had my own clubs):

Hole 14 is another par 5 that is wide open. I hit another long drive but had a bad lie and popped it up and struggled to recover properly:

Hole 15 is where I drilled the drive long and straight. A par 4 that is listed as 340 on the card and I was about 8 yards short of the green. Duffed my chip and couldn't get the ball into the hole with 2 putts, so after a great drive, I walked off with a bogie:

Hole 16 is another par 3, kinda pedestrian compared to most of the other holes:

Hole 17 is a cool hole with a blind tee shot. We had to guess at where to aim and I hit it exactly where I wanted to, but instead of driver, I hit 5 wood and the ball stopped on a severe down-slope in the rough. I opened the wedge and hit a great shot onto the green and three putted:

Hole 18 is a great finishing hole. Tough love. I struggled as the fairway ended at 230 yards out, so I would use a 3-iron or 4-iron, but I didn't have either. I tried the hybrid and went right. I had to try a trick shot and hit a palm tree and had to punch the next one between the next set of palm trees just short of the green.

The full set of '09 Burner and the Rossi putter:

Overall, the course is great for golfers of all abilities as the forward tees make it easier as it takes many of the harder shots out of the equation and the further back tees up the ante and bring everything into play even though the longest tee boxes are only 6815 yards long. The fairways are mostly generous and give plenty of roll. The greens are sloping and have a few really difficult pin positions and I thought were a little slow even though the people I was paired with all thought they were fast. The issue I have with the course is that 2 of the holes are along the freeway and 4 of the holes are along a roadway that is pretty heavilly used and will get worse as the other resorts/homes are built. They are not in play for the most part, but add to the noise level.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ko Olina Golf Club, Oahu, Hawaii (lots of pics)
PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 11:46 pm 

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail