It is currently July 23rd, 2018, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aldila Phenom
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 5:39 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

There hasn't been a lot of talk about the Aldila Phenom on this board....and there should be!

About 3-4 weeks ago I re shafted my White DCT with a brand new Aldila Phenom, and just now got to play it. My SS is still in the 90 + range, and I did check the swingspeed rating with Aldila before I decided which flex I needed. I stuck with R ( 90-100 mph per Aldila) ....and for my swing speed and my transition it kicks serious butt! IMO it beats the RIP Beta for use with a DCT and may be one of the best shafts Aldila has produced.

I read that Aldila demoed the Phenom as a sub 50 gr RIP Beta , and that technically the 2 shafts are similar. I do like the RIP Beta but the performance of this head with a RIP Beta vs the performance with the Phenom are totally different.

with the RIP Beta on my DCT, I had very nice ball flight with control, but no honest longer distances that I would get with a VS Proto. That is not a bad thing. I'm an average golfer...as average as you can get. I would be better if I played more, but with work + the artwork company + GCG + Church & Family...golf gets played when I can.

As an average golfer I guess my drives average between 230-250 yds max, with an occasional 280+ with my quick transition.
With the Phenom in this driver, I was getting 20-30 yards more than normal, and my 1st drive ( and I have a witness) was easily 300 yards with rollout. Scared me a little at first. I wondered if the shaft was too weak for my transition. After 18, nope not at all. A weak shaft goes everywhere but straight for me. This shaft was on target, stable and kicked like a government mule! My ball height was higher than normal but not ballooning. The DCT with this shaft makes a miracle driver.
This shaft is not a high spin shaft IMO, but it increases launch height, if that makes sense. I've hit spinny shafts with a DCT before. I've hit weak shafts with a DCT before. This was neither.

Last year, when I paired a FS3 12 with a RIP Beta I was excited. That was a good combo and that head and that shaft do complement each other. I do have a RIP Beta paired up with a FS3 again and it really is awesome. But...this DCT-Phenom Combo IS my Gamer for now. Now I'm wondering of the DCT did this well, what will the No Brainer do with a Phenom??

The No Brainer will be the most innovative Geek Head yet, and may be the biggest seller Geek has ever had. You pair that up with possibly the best shaft Aldila has come out with in years??? How will it play?

I can't wait to find out. :yahoo:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Aldila Phenom
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 6:57 pm 

I have I paired a FS3 12 with a RIP Beta. My phenom s/b here tomorrow and was thinking of putting it in a FS3 or DCT or maybe lb130 until the NB gets here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Aldila Phenom
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 2:55 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Here's some pics:

Profile E-mail