It is currently July 23rd, 2018, 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Christmas Contest Review - Matrix HD Radix 7
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 6:07 pm 

I was lucky enough to win my choice of flex of a Matrix HD Radix shaft from Victory Custom Golf back in the Christmas giveaway. It's taken me a long while to shaft it up, get some initial reaction to the shaft. Hell, it's snowing right now here in Central NY...

First, I shafted the 7X in a GolfinColors TK1 head, in 7* of loft. More loft than I usually play (6* and below, typically), but it was all I had available, so I'd thought I'd give it a go. I'm not familiar with the TK1, but it seemed very similar to the SMT 455DB at address, a head I used a lot (more than a few years back), so I had hopes of it feeling good.

And it did.

The head seemed very solid, toe hits weren't penalized severely. If it's similar to the 455DB, it wasn't producing massive amounts of spin. I was launching it a bit higher than my gamer, a 6* DCT on an Assassin 3X shaft - but that's to be expected. Probably a good 1-2* higher in initial launch angle, mostly attributed to the additional kick in the 7X compared to the Assassin (and its stiffer tip section).

However... the additional kick also gave me considerably more spin. While my DCT/Assassin (on good contact swings) has me in the 3000-3300 rpm area, I'd have to say the softer tip section of the Matrix had me at 3500+, the ball was still climbing at a point where the DCT/Assassin would start to level out. Overall, the apex of the TK1/Matrix was a good 40-50ft higher than the DCT/Assassin, but the return to terra firma came much more abruptly. Where the DCT/Assassin has more roll upon impact (20-25 yards) due to the lower angle of descent, the TK1/ Matrix barely had any at all, maybe 7-10 yards. Overall carry distance was/is similar, but the advantage in total length still goes to the DCT/Assassin (which is why its still in my bag after 3 years).

Overall impression of the shaft:
**Smooth, stable kick, would probably work better for someone with a slower transition (mine is "violent").
**Great feel, always know where the head is throughout the swing.
**Not the lowest in spin of shafts I've tried, but not ridiculously high - probably has a bit more spin than the Aldila RIP series, which many say doesn't have enough spin.

A great mid-priced shaft, if fit to the player. I took a chance on the 7X, and it might have fared better for me if I'd tipped it, or if I'd used a head I was much more familiar with. I'll probably give it another run in a DCT, just to see if my initial impressions were affected by the TK1 head.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Christmas Contest Review - Matrix HD Radix 7
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 6:51 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Chuck
Any thoughts about trying the shaft in the dct or trying the assassain in the tk1 to give it an apples to apples review?
Im just saying it will help people make judgments on the head and shaft better.
Totally different setups there so of course comparison going to be way different.

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 8:16 am 

pgw wrote:
Chuck
Any thoughts about trying the shaft in the dct or trying the assassain in the tk1 to give it an apples to apples review?
Im just saying it will help people make judgments on the head and shaft better.
Totally different setups there so of course comparison going to be way different.

Neil - that's exactly what I'll be doing, going to try the Matrix in another DCT.
You know damn well that if something works great, you don't mess with it (by pulling the shaft).
I also have another Assassin to try in the TK1, and have a RIP 70XX to try, as well. That should give me a decent comparison against some low-launching, tip-stiff shafts, and allow me to give a fairly accurate assessment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:26 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

I'm just saying...
taking a 6* with 3X shaft with spin in the 3000-3300 rpm area and then the Matrix with a 1X and 7* at 3500+ spin......
that to me says the Matrix is a very good shaft

Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:31 am 

Neil was nice enough to let me upgrade to the 7321 Radix when I won a contest. Sounds like that one probably would have been a good one for you too to lower the launch and spin. I agree with Neil though, more loft and still in the spin ballpark of the others= pretty darn good. :thumbup:

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 8:23 pm 

pgw wrote:
I'm just saying...
taking a 6* with 3X shaft with spin in the 3000-3300 rpm area and then the Matrix with a 1X and 7* at 3500+ spin......
that to me says the Matrix is a very good shaft

I know what you're saying, and I agree!
Seems to be an excellent shaft in the mid-price category, just not "perfect" for me (as it is). I'm sure if I tipped it a bit, it would lower the launch and spin a bit more, may be able to give the Assassins I have a good run....

Have to grab another DCT, tip it 1/2 - 1"", and install... see how it compares feel-wise and distance, and overall performance.

Profile E-mail