It is currently September 20th, 2018, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New HOF HD Prototype from PGW (Fall contest prize)
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 10:55 pm 

I know it's really late since I won this back in the fall contest, but shortly after I won it I took an extended hiatus from golf. I just got burnt out, plus my back was really giving me trouble. A couple weeks back I decided to finally put this together in a DCT and get back into the game.

Just before I took some time off, I had noticed a distinct drop in my distance across the board, so when I won this shaft I decided to get it in S-flex as opposed to the X-flex I had been playing for quite some time. And so far I'm really glad I did. I decided to not tip it at all, and installed it at my typical 44.75 inches. The pearl finish is lovely. I always liked the simple white that HOF used, but wasn't totally sold on the matte look. This though is definitely a winner in the looks department. And the understated graphics are still a winner.

So far I have one range session and one and a half rounds with it, and have been very pleased. The first range session was fair as I had a lot of rust to knock off. First 9-hole round was pretty good but nothing spectacular as I was still trying to get the feel back. The next round - an 18-holer - was much better, and the driver was really clicking. I measured one of my drives at about 295, another at about 300, and the last drive of the day was a lovely 315. And with my loss of speed, that's pretty terrific.

This shaft has a really great feel to it. Very very smooth. With some shafts in the past - most notably the Graman Limey 540 - I could actually feel the shaft "load" at the top of the backswing. With this shaft, though, I don't get that distinct feeling. But that doesn't mean it's not loading. It's clear to me that this shaft really delivers the power to the ball, but it's hardly noticeable, except for the ball rocketing off the clubface. I would call the trajectory medium or medium-high, with no ballooning whatsoever. I had always thought the original Patriot was a good shaft, but this is actually better.

This is a very good shaft, and I feel very fortunate to have won it. Thank you to Neil at Phoenix Golf Works for offering this shaft in the drawing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New HOF HD Prototype from PGW (Fall contest prize)
PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 9:49 pm 

Dave, maybe I will have a high-speed camera when we are in Pismo and we can get some video to see how the shaft is loading in your backswing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 10:32 pm 

That would be pretty cool!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 10:06 am 

With the snow finally melting around here I have the 55 and 65 gram HD proto's to shaft upas well as a couple of Ultra's. Looking forward to it after your review.

Profile E-mail