It is currently September 26th, 2018, 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Taylormade Penta Ball
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 4:42 pm 

I found three of these in a single round and took that as a sign to play them and review them, so I played 36 holes using the Penta. As a note I play 3-piece urethane balls, always the softer/spinnier of the models like the ProV1, B330S, Tour-i, etc.

Driver: About the same distance as the other balls. LM showed it spun a little less off the driver than the ProV1 and B330S. Don't expect to knock it off the planet.

Irons: Spinny and high ball-flight. On course testing it climbed high and seemed to spin more than the other balls I was used to. LM confirmed, very spinny on full swings with irons.

Wedges: VERY spinny. Almost impossible to get the ball to take a hop forward and settle quietly to attack back hole locations. It wants to grab immediately and spin back.

Short game: If you play small, fast greens and short side yourself often, this could be the ball for you. It spins hard and stops quickly. Moreso even than the ProV1. If you want a ball that's more versatile and like to play a lot of running shots in addition to checkers, look elsewhere.

Durability: Poor. I expect the softer balls like the ProV1 or Z Star to last longer than the harder variants like the ProV1x or Z Star X. I felt that the Penta feels soft, but scuffs and cuts like the harder balls. Pretty fragile compared to the competition.

Final evaluation: TM purports this ball to be all things to all people. That's a load of bunk. It does some things well, but it's not a ball I'd want to buy due to poor durability and it's not even a ball I'd choose to play if money wasn't an issue due to one dimensional, over-spinny short game and difficult to control wedges. Think of it as a Nike One Platinum. Not really an upgrade over the older Red/Black balls in any way other than greatly increased spin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taylormade Penta Ball
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 7:41 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Great thread - thanks for posting!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 8:00 pm 

**Paging kamtile**

He had some of these at the Pismo outing, but never got a chance to ask his opinion of them. I'm wondering if his thoughts mirror yours.

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 12:14 pm 

I know Keith doesn't agree as he loves these balls. So much so that he gave me one to try out on the first tee Sunday morning at Pismo. Problem was, I only was able to put a single swing on it and it was gone. :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 1:24 pm 

Funny thing about this ball... it's the only one that I can think of that people seem to either love or hate. Most balls, the negative reviews seem to be "it's a pretty good ball, just not for me." I've seen reviews on the Penta saying it's the longest ball ever others say it's really short. Same thing with spin.

Sorry, I have nothing else to contribute. I haven't tried it as I am stocked on Cally Tour i's for a while, I just find it interesting that the opinions on the Penta vary so greatly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 6:26 pm 

Interesting. I LOVE the driver distance, iron control, and overall trajectory and distance control. Problem for me is that I get NO spin with these puppies. It's just so frustrating hitting the shot you wanted, hit the spot you wanted, only to watch it roll off the back of the green. If they spun for me, they would be my favorite ball, without a doubt. Even with Spin Milled grooves, nothing doing. Played a B-330S today and spun nicely for me. So I think my technique is OK at least. :lol:

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 7:30 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

FWIW, I played a Penta and a TP Red side-by-side today and greatly preferred the Red. The only area where the Penta was better was greenside, I liked the Red everywhere else. The thing I noticed about the Penta was inconsistent spin. I don't know how many of you remember the first generation ProV1 where it would spin a given amount 90% of the time and it seemed to spin 10 times than amount once in a while, but I was getting that out of the Penta. It would spin a fair amount, probably equal to a current ProV1, but once in a while it would do something funky and spin like a gyroscope on steroids.

And I agree on the durability issue, scuffs very easily, like an early Top-Flite Tour.

Profile E-mail