It is currently May 22nd, 2017, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alpha Zeta Putter reiview
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 10:53 am 

In the last GBT prize giveaway I was lucky enough to win a putter from Neil Simpson at Phoenix Golf World. I have had the same putter for about 4 years, a Callaway two ball heel shafted putter that I have been thinking about replacing. So when I found out I won this prize I was stoked. Got in touch with Neil and we decided on a 34" length. Neil sent it out 2 day air and when it arrived I opened it up to find one of the nicest looking putters I have seen in some time. This was not a surprise as Alpha makes an outstanding high quality product.

This putter is a traditional looking heel shafted putter but the finish on it is just outstanding in my mind. Unfortunately I don't possess a camera to take some pics of this beauty so you will have to just believe me on this. The face is CNC milled and looks like it means business. I set it down and it sits perfectly flush to the target line something some putters just don't do. Took it into the house with some balls and tried it out. The putters gets the ball up and rolling even on my carpet. Played around with it for about twenty minutes and decided to take it to the course to try on our practice green there.

I get to the course and there is no one of the green so I have it to myself to practice all kinds of putts. I started out with short 5-10 foot putts and the ball just came off the face straight and true. It started rolling immediately and with little effort just rolled to the hole. Our greens are pretty fast (10.5-11) on a flat putt and I found the only thing that was not working was my ability to control the distances with the putter. On short putts it was a snap but on long lag putts which I usually do quite well I could not seem to hit consistently inside 3-4 feet.

So a couple of days later I took it out for its first round at my local course. Once again the results were the same. Inside 15 feet the Alpha was magic but putts over twenty feet I just could not seem to be consistent. This continued on into my next round as well and I came to the conclusion that the putter head was heavier than my Callaway by some 20 grams. I really love how the putter looks and feels so I am going to try to back weight it and hopefully offset the weight difference and see if this helps.

Of course this is just my initial findings and I will be adding to this review as I make adjustments to the putter. All in all so far I would give this putter an 8 out of ten with the only negative (for me) the heavier head. At this point I want to thank Neil for giving me the chance to try out this putter and thank all the sponsors for giving so much to this forum. More input to come on this. If anyone has a picture of the Zeta putter could you add it to this thread? thanks.

Profile E-mail