It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Power Play System Q2 w/Rapport Pro-Jec R
PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 7:28 pm 

I recently put together a new set of the Q2 irons (5-GW) with Rapport Pro-Jec R graphite hybrid/iron shafts in R flex. I've been playing SE 600XCs since 2006 so I was ready to try something different. (I don't change out the irons very often like most other clubs in the bag.) I mainly wanted to try an iron set with graphite shafts and Hireko's reasonable prices on iron heads were appealing for the experiment.

It was a tough choice between the System Q2, Acer XK Pro, Acer XDS React or the Acer XF line. Ultimately I decided to try wider soles, which left me between the Q2's and the XDS Reacts. There seemed to be more positive reviews of the Q2's (no doubt since they've been around longer) so I went with those.

The Pro-Jec R hybid/iron shafts are interesting--butt cut only. No tip trimming at all. Sure made for an easy build. [8D] I have no previous experience with them but they were heavily discounted at Golfworks so gave them a shot. The shafts came in weighing between 95.0 and 97.5 grams with three of the seven weighing 96.5 grams. I could not decide whether to build them the same length as my 600XCs (38 inch 5-iron) or 1/2 inch longer due to the lighter shafts, so I split the difference and made them 1/4 inch longer. When I saw the orange graphics on the shafts I went with some orange grips to aggravate my playing partners. Dang, I forgot to align the graphics in assorted ways to make it look like I spined and flo'd them. :wink:

I took the clubs to the course yesterday without hitting them before. I like the shafts a lot. They definitely have a more muted feel (and less harshness on mishits) but I did not notice any lack of accuracy. When I first waggled the clubs I thought they felt sort of stiff but they didn't play that way. The clubs feel soft at impact but very much in control. I wondered if the heavier shorter irons would feel softer (with no tip trimming) but they do not. These shafts were a great deal! I should have picked up a couple more for hybrids.

While I was in the pro shop one of my buddies said some guy was checking out my new irons. (Hey, why not they were brand spanking new.) The System Q2 heads have a slightly shorter blade length than the 600XCs so I wondered if I would feel less confident at address. It ended up not being an issue at all. The heads seemed very forgiving, both on thin shots and shots out toward the toe (my two most common misses). The 600XCs are very good in this regard, too, so I'd say it's a stalemate between the two on forgiveness. I read some negative reviews of the feel/sound of these heads but I did not find them to be "clanky" or harsh. Perhaps the nice feeling graphite shafts are the reason.

Where the Q2 heads shined the most was from the rough. They slid through a lot easier than the 600XC's typically do. On the other hand, I don't feel as comfortable chipping with them on thin lies. I did not have many of those shots today, so we'll see. As expected with the stronger lofts, the Q2's seemed to play at least half a club longer than the 600XC's.

I do not recall how many GIRs I had but I shot 87 with 39 putts (yeah, I know), which for me is pretty decent from tee to green. It's only one round so far the graphite shaft experiment seems like a success. It's probably just evidence I'm getting old. :cry: :wink: The 600XC's have been great but I'll be playing the Q2's for the time being. I think I may eventually put graphite shafts in the 600XCs, too.

(Gap wedge not pictured)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Power Play System Q2 w/Rapport Pro-Jec R
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 12:27 am 

Whoa!! Those are attention getters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 5:40 pm 

Nice sticks and an even better writeup, especially your honesty regarding why you bought the shafts, and comments regarding orientation.

I like the cut of your jib.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 5:38 pm 

Congrats on a nice purchase. I have always been very frugal when it comes to buying equipment as I have scrapped together sets throughout my first and only 4 years of golf. However, I am considering making a change and going for a purchase next season now that I have pretty much become die hard. Does anybody know of any good sites for golf bags and clubs?

Profile E-mail