It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Acer XF Pro Iron with Proforce RV2 95 (S)
PostPosted: April 16th, 2012, 12:06 pm 

After some lessons last year, the instructor informed that I needed to move up a flex. He also question my use of graphite, however, I have found I have less issues with elbow joint pain since the switch.

At the end of last summer through the winter, I found some of the PF RV2 95 (S) for $10 a piece at Dick's, so a project over the winter was hatched. Then my mother in-law gave my a gift certificate for Hireko for Christmas and that is when I decided to get the Acer XF Pro iron heads (I had previously posted about my experience with the purchase of these heads). The main reason for going with a new set of iron heads is that for the last 10 years or so, I have hit a regular 4i or 5i. I had problems with those in the past and went hybrid. After the lessons, I really wanted to try a regular 4i and 5i.

First off, the RV2 95's. Dick's had them a clearance and some had minor issues with the paint/finish (a few nicks and scratches) but at $10, I am not complaining. Ended up wit 13 of them, weighed them all and they ranged 95 grams to 98.3 grams with the average weight being 96.5 grams, the listed spec weight is 98 grams. A little under but that is fine.

The XF Pro heads I received look really good. A few seemed to have paint fill on parts of the head it shouldn't but they cleaned up. Weighed them up and 3 of the 7 heads were beyond the tolerances (+2/-3), two were slightly over and one was weigh under. Bitched about it, called up the company and bitched about and posted here and bitched about it. Then I added some tungsten adhesive squares and was good to go. Not sure what kind of steel the heads are made from, but I did drop my 7i on the pavement (cardinal sin) and it did leave a slight ding in the back side of the toe. Not visible at address, but sucks none the less.

I must admit, I really need to measure the finished length with the grip on, but with that being said, these had some nice weight to them. My previous experience had been with 80-85 gram shafts which worked fine, but I like the heavier weight. The heads have less offset than the ones I have been playing, but that didn't seem to bother me. The are also more compact, but after one round seemed to fine (they are about the length of my wedges).

The clubs were cut to + 1/2" as is the "typical" recommendation for graphite shafts. I thought at this weight, I could cut them to +1/4" and still have the feel I want, but ended up leaving +1/2", easier to cut them down after a few rounds if I need to.

I went with the Golf Pride G2 Wraps. If I make a change, it may be with the grips. I like them, but catch dusty easy (IMO) and then they are less tacky at that point. At some point, I will get some pictures are up, but until then :TTIWWP

I will try to update as I get a couple more rounds in, but for the money, I think they are a good value.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Acer XF Pro Iron with Proforce RV2 95 (S)
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:45 pm 

I'll be interested in how you liked the shafts. I picked up a set of 10 for myself and 10 for a friend at Dicks last week... just under $4.00/shaft. I've never hit graphite iron shafts but a few years back I saw these and thoguth to myself that if I ever tried it, these would be the shafts.

let me know how far you hit your irons normally and any swing speeds too if possible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Acer XF Pro Iron with Proforce RV2 95 (S)
PostPosted: June 15th, 2012, 6:39 am 

Ty,
First year in a league so I have been more than usual and here is what I can tell you.

First, I switched over to graphite shafts about four years ago. I have since played two different brands of graphite shafts in the 80-85 gram range (raw weight), both R Flex and a 1/2" longer than steel. Not sure of my swing speeds, but my 7i distance was about 175. I am RV95 in stiff flex I have installed with the same length and my 7i distance is pretty much the same. I feel that I have become "more consistent" (relative term because nothing about my game is consistent) with my swing but not sure if that has to do with the added weight of the shaft or playing more on a regular basis.

The other factor to consider is that I have also changed iron heads this year. So far so good with the mid and short irons. I have switched out the 4i for a hybrid iron that I have hit better in the past in attempt to give me some confidence with the long irons (and woods)....so far, haven't been able to produce at the driving range. Been all my league matches with nothing longer than a 7i. Luckily for me, most of the par 4s can been reached with a combination 7i and 9i (or less).

Profile E-mail