It is currently August 18th, 2018, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Titleist and Rory parting ways?
PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 9:50 am 

Rory going to Nike for big money?

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2012/10 ... -year.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Titleist and Rory parting ways?
PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:01 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

"Send me the money!" :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 6:14 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

Yea they needed to shore up team tiger :lol: :o :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 6:42 pm 

Nike paying 10 years and $250M. I wonder how much of that they'll take from Tiger's deal. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 12:38 pm 

UncleSteve wrote:
Nike paying 10 years and $250M. I wonder how much of that they'll take from Tiger's deal. :wink:

Tiger seems to still be the one who can pull the crowds to a tournament. He got $2 million while Rory got $1 million in China for appearance fees. I don't think Tiger is too worried.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 10:58 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

I can't see Rory selling enough product to make this a deal for Nike. Tiger as least sold gear. Sure, the people who bought Nike because of Tiger were some of the worst chops on the planet, but they did buy because of Tiger. Rory doesn't move the needle nearly that much. People might like Rory and they might respect Rory, but they don't go out and buy clubs because Rory plays them. At least over here they don't. Can Nike sell enough gear in Europe to make this work out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 11:16 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

RickB wrote:
I can't see Rory selling enough product to make this a deal for Nike. Tiger as least sold gear. Sure, the people who bought Nike because of Tiger were some of the worst chops on the planet, but they did buy because of Tiger. Rory doesn't move the needle nearly that much. People might like Rory and they might respect Rory, but they don't go out and buy clubs because Rory plays them. At least over here they don't. Can Nike sell enough gear in Europe to make this work out?

TIMING is so important in business and TIGER hit the golf world right on spot, Not so much now for RORY, The golf bis is not flourishing as it did in TIGERS time frame. :???:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 6:23 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

RickB wrote:

:agree: Bingo!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 7:36 am 

I can't speak for the rest of Europe but Nike is still not really taken serious and a major golfing brand here in Scotland.

If you went to any of the top Custom fitters none of them would offer you Nike (well the ones I've visited anyway)

I know of only one out of all my friends who golf that has anything Nike in the bag.

I personally wouldn't buy any Nike Golf equipment as I just don't see them as a true golf brand....with or without Tiger or Rory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 10:50 am 

hotbaws wrote:
I personally wouldn't buy any Nike Golf equipment as I just don't see them as a true golf brand....with or without Tiger or Rory.

I see that a lot. Acushnet was making hot water bottles and other rubber products before they got into golf ball manufacturing. All companies in golf started elsewhere. Nike bought in more recently, but they didn't do anything others did before them. Nike has not always been the best company in a humanitarian sense. (Compare to Fortune Brands peddling all manner of alcohol.) :lol:
But their clubs are pretty darn good now. They've put out plenty of junk too (like other companies.) But more recent products have been good. I've never been much of a Nike homer, but have played my best golf with their sticks this season. The "traditions" of the golf companies out there really aren't that long or deep-rooted when you think about it. I think Acushnet was 1930's when they went all golf and sold their other manufacturing interests?

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 12:37 pm 

I just hope the kid knows what he's doing. His game certainly doesn't need any repair. I fear him 'following' in TW's footsteps might be a bad career move. I'm watching with interest. MacDowell was on top of his game with Callaway then switched to Srixon - other than solid performances in the Ryder Cup, isn't he on a bit of a downward slide?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 1:15 pm 

UncleSteve wrote:
I just hope the kid knows what he's doing. His game certainly doesn't need any repair. I fear him 'following' in TW's footsteps might be a bad career move. I'm watching with interest. MacDowell was on top of his game with Callaway then switched to Srixon - other than solid performances in the Ryder Cup, isn't he on a bit of a downward slide?

He's a smaller guy trying to move it out there with the big guys.
He has an interesting action from the top and makes me wonder if it doesn't affect his consistency sometimes. (Really lags and lays off at the top.)

I thought Martin Kaymer was going to be a world beater a couple years ago too. Sometimes these guys have their "hot streak" and that's it. Being MacDowell is not a prototypical modern pro with the size to go with it, he may have had his "day" already.

I think the biggest equipment-related slide of late has been Camillo Villagas. Guy absolutely tanked after he left Cobra. But his swing is quirky too.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 1:20 pm 

UncleSteve wrote:

I think Gmac would admit himself Rory has a bit more game and i'm sure if he wants a set of Titliests stamped Nike like Tiger he will get them.
Have to agree with Divots, Nike blades and cavity combo set are quite nice but if I was tempted i'd buy the Titliests not their Nike knock offs :lol:

Profile E-mail