Acropolis Golf
ANMKARA.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taylor made buys Adams
PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 7:35 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

"TaylorMade reaches agreement to buy Adams Golf

Monday, March 19, 2012

Ever since Adams Golf announced on Jan. 4, 2012 that it was "examining strategic alternatives," there has been speculation about what would happen to the brand. In the interim, rumors that TaylorMade was interested in acquiring Adams circulated. Those rumors became reality Monday morning as TaylorMade announced it had reached an agreement to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Adams Golf for $10.80 per share in cash, or roughly $70 million. According to a statement from TaylorMade, it will maintain Adams' headquarters in Plano, Texas.

"This acquisition reflects our commitment to continued growth in the golf category," said Herbert Hainer, CEO of adidas Group, TaylorMade's parent company. "The proposed combination of Adams Golf and TaylorMade-adidas Golf brings together two highly complementary sets of brands, combining Adams' focus on game-improvement as well as senior and women golfers with TaylorMade-adidas Golf's focus on the younger and the low-to-mid handicap golfer."

The acquisition by TaylorMade caps a whirlwind few weeks for Adams, which posted sales of $96.5 million in 2011. CEO Chip Brewer left Adams for Callaway Golf on Feb. 28 with company founder Barney Adams taking over as interim CEO.

In addition to the stated benefit of adding a brand focused on game-improvement clubs, TaylorMade also acquires some intriguing intellectual property in the area of slots in clubheads and Yes! Golf's C-Groove technology. Further, Adams has often won the hybrid count on the PGA Tour in recent years -- something that did not sit well with TaylorMade. Now the two hybrid leaders are part of the same company.

The adidas Group plans to finance the acquisition with cash on hand or through existing credit lines and the transaction is subject to standard closing conditions and regulatory approvals as well as approval by Adams Golf shareholders. Those are expected to be mere formalities, however, and the transaction is expected to close mid-2012."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 8:33 am 

Is that how they were planning on getting away with stealing their "speed slot" or whatever it's called?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 11:28 am 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

BIG fish eats little fish, a real shame for the golf industry. :puke:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 11:59 am 

GO4IT wrote:
BIG fish eats little fish, a real shame for the golf industry. :puke:

Couldn't agree more.

It's a shame as Adam was a relatively unknow brand here in the UK but there kit is some of the best I've played.

The fact that I've had my 9015d in the bag for over 3 years and has seen off various other contenders...910D3...R11...R11s etc

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 1:45 pm 

9 of 14 clubs I played this weekend were Adams. No TM.
Why, Adams? Why?! :roll:

Everything in the name of "shareholder profits." Gets old after a while. Adams was the David to TM's Goliath. It just feels like they fell in battle now. No good feelings about this. ((Choice is good.))
TM was already the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. :puke:

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 5:00 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

I'm moving this to the business folder, it's more of a fit there.

tjshorty15 wrote:
Is that how they were planning on getting away with stealing their "speed slot" or whatever it's called?

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember, Callaway bought Spalding just to get hold of the Strata patents.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm 

I wonder what that does to the Kenny Perry commercials? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 10:23 pm 

Can anyone else envision a day not too far in the future when there are only like 2 or 3 parent companies of OEM golf gear and they all own 3 or 4 major brands each?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 10:23 am 

SKrinsky wrote:
Can anyone else envision a day not too far in the future when there are only like 2 or 3 parent companies of OEM golf gear and they all own 3 or 4 major brands each?

kinda like the automotive industry eh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 10:37 am 

SKrinsky wrote:

Yes, like every other industry. Globalism SUCKS. Golf companies are just one holding of these companies, and are dumped if they are not providing certain rates of return, even if profitable. There is no consumer choice if the same company makes everything. Quality always suffers when monopolies are formed. Competing with yourself isn't what spurs innovation.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 1:20 pm 

I am confused why people are so upset about this deal. Will Adams equipment now be of lesser quality? Or are people upset because the Adams stuff will eventually just be the same as Taylor? I recently went to a driving range on the Las Vegas Strip and used some Adams clubs. they were great. I had never golfed on the strip before, and I found the range on this Vegas hotel list. I would recommend it to any golf enthusiast.

Last edited by angelicalee8 on August 1st, 2012, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

angelicalee8 wrote:
I am confused why people are so upset about this deal. Will Adams equipment now be of lesser quality? Or are people upset because the Adams stuff will eventually just be the same as Taylor?

Usually when one company buys another the company purchased ceases to exist. There may be a concern that Adams designs will cease to be true Adams, and end up being TM cast offs re-labeled Adams and become a second tier brand.

Did TM buy Adams to broaden their scope in the golf world, or to take over a competitor and use the name?

When Adams bought Yes, it was to add something to their company. With TM owning Adams and Yes, how long before Yes exists as a name only and TM putters show up with C Groove Technology? TM is already using Adams Slot technology.

Maybe TM will run it as a separate brand the way Titleist did Cobra. Who knows?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 11:24 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

BIG fish eats little fish, a real shame for the golf industry. :puke: Not hard to figure out :crazy: :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail