It is currently August 18th, 2018, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trident Golf
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 1:44 pm 

Just received their catalog in the mail. They are an Ohio based company and I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products as far as quality.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trident Golf
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 2:42 pm 

No idea, I've never heard of them. From the pictures I could find online they look very knock-offy. I'd rather go with a Hireko, prices are similar and Hireko is a known commodity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 7:27 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

slymer58 wrote:
Just received their catalog in the mail. They are an Ohio based company and I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products as far as quality.

I think it's the same company that has been around forever. They are a knockoff company to be sure. But, they serve a needed purpose..pricepoint! Quality is not bad if I remember correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 10:32 pm 

Hell I remember them from years ago. They cloned the Big Bertha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 2:18 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

candukid wrote:
Hell I remember them from years ago. They cloned the Big Bertha

True..in both S.S., Titanium and Aluminum! :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 8:30 pm 

I started buying from Trident / Pro Swing in the early 80's.
These people are the real deal. NO BS! Stand up people who know something about golf.
The have a Graphite Wood shaft called Fuji -L which is so much like the Aldila HM-40 of the 80's it is not funny! Great shaft - full length - let it fly!!!!

Guido

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 11:06 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Geekoman wrote:
slymer58 wrote:

I think it's the same company that has been around forever. They are a knockoff company to be sure. But, they serve a needed purpose..pricepoint! Quality is not bad if I remember correctly.

Steve - are these guys one of the first to buy low priced product from China?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 31st, 2012, 5:18 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

DrGreen wrote:
Geekoman wrote:
slymer58 wrote:

Steve - are these guys one of the first to buy low priced product from China?

There were so many back then....but, most of the importers were Chinese Americans that brought tons of clones and/or knockoffs into the country...both here and Canada. One of the first to really take advantage of that market....Can you say Rampion (a Canadian company)...remember them? They were one of the first but their real claim to fame was bringing in those clip on bag stands for carry bags before others started making bags with permanent stands attached to the bags. They made so much money with those clip on stands...it was ridiculous. Then after a couple years they tried to go legit per se instead of just being what they were. I don't even know if they are still in business. But, they were a Monster at one time. Believe it or not...everyone back then was knocking them off....had they just stayed an accessory company which was the main direction they were going...they would have been alright. MAYBE! :o :lol:

The earliest I remember clones was around 1975/76 or so. And they were all Ping clones for the most part. Most (Chinese Americans) brought in large inventories of product and warehoused it. Trident, that particular name, was whored all over the place. Mainly was on Die cast aluminum heads....and then later on everything else. Maybe they took the name and trademarked it later..I don't know.

It was when Cally came on the scene with the War Bird that the component biz started to really take off....when Titanium started..WOW...components skyrocketed.

Just for reference....Pings Golden Years were mid/late 70's/thru the 80's. They were growing so fast that all Green Grass accounts and 95% of the others were granted 5 sets of irons and woods per month and 36 putters MAX! The most you could get per account was 17 sets a month and 96 putters...although there were exceptions. Walter Kellers golf shop I know for a fact got practically anything he wanted. He was one of Karstens first accounts. I remember walking into one of my Japanese accounts and he had 3 callers on the telephones dialing every green grass and off course independent thruout North America. They were offering 10% to 12% over invoice for all of the Ping they could get! If the account took discount which was up to another 5%...they could make up to 17% to 20% for just ordering the product. Not bad for 5 minutes work...once every month! :drool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 31st, 2012, 6:28 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

The "good old days"! :lol:

Profile E-mail