It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chick-Fil-A controversy
PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 11:44 am 

So by now, I'm sure many of you have read about the issue surrounding Chick-Fil-A. I'm just curious to know what you guys think about the whole thing. Shouldn't people be allowed to freely say they oppose gay marriage the same as people who stand up and say they are for it? They never came out and said they wouldn't serve food to them or banish them from their restaurants, it was simply said that the owners/management of the chain support the biblical definition of marriage. Why is that such a bad thing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Chick-Fil-A controversy
PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 12:20 pm 

Just as the Cathy family has the right to say what they want, those opposed to their point of view have the right to vocalize their oppostion to that point of view and to not frequent CFA. I don't care if gays are allowed to engage in a civil act of marriage and I support a religion's right to or not to allow gays to participate in their rites of holy matrimony. I think people lose sight of the fact that we live in a democracy not a Christian theocracy.

I also question why the Cathy family would make statements that hurt the people who have invested millions in their franchises.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 1:04 pm 

Well, the SCOTUS ruled corporations are the same as people, and now they are acting like people, expressing their opinions on all kinds of matters. Like people, corporations have lots of @ssholes and opinions.

I've seen the matter of legal gay marriage as one of opening insurance benefits mostly, and we know plenty of corporations are looking to shave a buck where ever they can no matter who they piss off.

Bring back corporate charters! :bs:

PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 1:11 pm 

I have the impression from news reports that the man personally was against gay marriage, but that Chick Fil A, as the corporation, is neutral on the subject.

It's similar to a politician stating personally, I don't like (Insert Issue Here), but my constituents and public policy endorse the other side of the issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm 

Being the brother of a gay sister for whom all intents and purposes is married to her partner I must say that while I may disagree with the position I can't stand the thought of someone being burned at the stake for simply disagreeing with some one else. My sister posted something about it on Facebook, saying she wouldn't ever step foot into another chick-fil-a restaurant. I just reminded her that is certainly her right. But intolerance is a two way street.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 3:03 pm 

ND Fan wrote:
I just reminded her that is certainly her right. But intolerance is a two way street.

Good point!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 3:08 pm 

Fortunately the world ends on December 21, 2012 and all this nonsense will stop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 3:43 pm 

DefCon1 wrote:
Fortunately the world ends on December 21, 2012 and all this nonsense will stop.

praise the allah for that

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 7:34 pm 

They are entitled to their stand on any topic - it's only a big deal because people make it one. SWMBO and I love the food and service there and will continue to support them, regardless of their politics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 4:27 am 

ND Fan wrote:
Being the brother of a gay sister for whom all intents and purposes is married to her partner I must say that while I may disagree with the position I can't stand the thought of someone being burned at the stake for simply disagreeing with some one else. My sister posted something about it on Facebook, saying she wouldn't ever step foot into another chick-fil-a restaurant. I just reminded her that is certainly her right. But intolerance is a two way street.

I agree that guy has a right to say what ever he wishes; however, there are ramifications to things we say (much like people saying they were going to boycott the Dixie Chicks over their GWB statement). The mayors of Boston, San Francisco and Chicago went too fair by saying there cities would not allow a Chick-Fil-A store to open there.

I do disagree with the implication that your sister's position is "intolerance". Your sister does not want to give her money to a man who will turn around and give money to a politician that will prevent her from getting married to the person she loves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 6:28 am 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

I have never been to one of these restaurants. Are they selling sandwiches or is it more of a sit down dinner?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 10:00 am 

gay marriage is allowed in 6 states, that leaves 44 states who have already voted on it or haven't yet seen the need to look into it. I am not anti gay marriage, I feel like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness covers that and that right should not only be available but protected. That being said the ramifications of his words resulted in the highest daily sales by ten fold for the company. Americans have spoken. Chick fil a doesn't discriminated with their customers or their employees. If they had that would cross the line. I get frustrated when people who support traditional marriage are beat over the head with divorce rate statistics and the like. Gay people are no more likely to remain faithful or married for life than any other cross section of Americans. I am appalled when people burn the flag , but that is freedom. But I reserve the right to think they should leave the country they so loathe, also freedom.
I think we have forgotten what freedom is.

While I don't necessarily agree with what the man said, I don't want our government, state, federal or local to intervene with their idea of imposing moral or social justice. No laws were broken by standing up for what this man believes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 10:26 am 

Quote:
I think we have forgotten what freedom is.

Indeed. What we see of it today is such a shambles of what it once was, however. Why pine for what is no longer there? It takes action to do something about it, and most Americans like safety, cheap Chinese goods from Walmart, and their rights ripped away in the name of "safety."

People wouldn't know freedom if it bit them in the ass.

Quote:
While I don't necessarily agree with what the man said, I don't want our government, state, federal or local to intervene with their idea of imposing moral or social justice. No laws were broken by standing up for what this man believes.

You work for a drug testing company, don't you? Come again?

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 12:24 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

What say you?

"Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.

This aspect of the legislation was introduced by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who, at the urging of a teenage constituent, proposed new limitations on military funeral demonstrations as a response to a 2011 Supreme Court case that ruled such actions were protected under the First Amendment.

In the wake of that decision, many have turned to counter-protest efforts to block Westboro Baptist Church's disruptive and insensitive displays, which frequently suggest that U.S. soldiers have been killed as God's vengeance for gay tolerance.

Thousands turned out in Missouri last month, forming a "human wall" around a church where the service for a fallen soldier was being held.

Earlier in July, hundreds of Texas A&M students showed up in a similar effort, joining together to create a barrier between Westboro Baptist Church members and a military funeral.

And while not at a specific service, a group of demonstrators dressed as zombies gathered at a military base in Washington last month, far outnumbering and overshadowing followers of the far-right congregation."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 12:29 pm 

Yeah; why don't they take away the tax exempt status of these nutjob churches instead of using this putrid example as a means to further erode the 1st Amendment? :???: