It is currently August 18th, 2018, 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Heads rolling as ESPN
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:58 am 

All this political correctiveness is insulting to the common sense.....we as a society have lost our sense of humor in order to appease the tights ass fuckers who have no life, no sense of humor.

Remember the TV show "All in the family"? That show aired and was the reigning champion in the 1970's, but would not be allowed to air these days due to Archie's comments about society.

On a weekly basis he used to call his son-in-law (Michael) a dumb "Pollock"...and people laughed.... good grief, if he uttered those words these days thousands of Pollocks would band together and protest in front of the wrong network.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:32 am 

Archie Bunker was supposed to be the biggest bigot ever and acted like it. It was all in fun and you had to laugh at how bigoted he was being. Some of it was not funny though and I know I was offended more than once. When I saw the story about Lin I thought boy someone was not thinking straight, but I never thought it was meant as a slur against the Chinese race or Lin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:54 am 

Gus R wrote:
Archie Bunker was supposed to be the biggest bigot ever and acted like it. It was all in fun and you had to laugh at how bigoted he was being. Some of it was not funny though and I know I was offended more than once. When I saw the story about Lin I thought boy someone was not thinking straight, but I never thought it was meant as a slur against the Chinese race or Lin.

Since I brought up Archie, I remember as a kid, my dad watching that show and laughing...I didn't realize at the time that my own dad was a bigot and actually LIKED the Archie persona.

I remember (like it was yesterday) that after an episode, Carroll O'Conner came on in a political commercial announcing who he was supporting for president, and my dad expected him to announce his support for Richard Nixon...and instead, Carroll said he was supporting Democrat George McGovern.

My dad went ballistic and from that moment on, "All in the Family" was never watched in our household. :???:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:31 am 

Gus R wrote:

I can't believe someone would take offense at All in the Family and fail to see how inappropriate it is to use the word "chink" in referencing (hardly veiled) Mr. Lin, someone of Chinese decent.

It's interesting further being the Hearst family owns ESPN and have historically been involved in some very racist agendas over the years. They are a propaganda machine. It frightens me the channels they own and what they air. It's all very veiled, but if you know their history, you can pick up on it. Propaganda is much more subtle than it once was. They're pros at it.