It is currently August 19th, 2018, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another reason we need to get this buffoon out of office
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 3:14 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01 ... latestnews

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another reason we need to get this buffoon out of office
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 4:10 pm 

Did you read the NRDC report yet? If not, give it a read, it has some very interesting points in there.

NRDC Report (link)

The amount of pollution and destruction that this pipeline would create is immense, not to mention that this does absolutely nothing to decline our dependence on oil. The money that would have been spent on this pipeline can just as easily be used on the development and implementation of greener energy sources that would not only decrease our dependence on oil but also create more manufacturing jobs in the US for the new technologies. Plus this was just thrown on a tax bill that has absolutely no correlation to this pipeline, which is one of the reasons that our economy is in it's current state.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 4:51 pm 

tjshorty15 wrote:
Plus this was just thrown on a tax bill that has absolutely no correlation to this pipeline, which is one of the reasons that our economy is in it's current state.

We can debate and argue the merits or lack thereof for the pipeline, what pisses me off is when any legislator (regardless of party) tries to right stuff into a bill that has no business being in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:01 pm 

I just cringe at this tar sands given how much fresh water it uses to extract it from the ground. How many times have we heard WATER is the ultimate natural resource, and this process just pollutes and wastes it like nobody's business.

Championing for anything under the auspices of "job creation" is very dangerous.

Shorty: are the other two pipelines that were already approved BUILT yet? Interesting. :whistle:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm 
GolfBizTalk Sponsor

ONE thing that is being forgotten is ND & SD have all the oil we need :bill:

ALDILA, INTEGRA,
Discount to GolfBizTalk members

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:53 pm 

GO4IT wrote:
ONE thing that is being forgotten is ND & SD have all the oil we need :bill:

I was thinking about that today. Feels like building her majesty and her royal oil douches their own oil party line to me. :roll:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 11:20 pm 

tjshorty15 wrote:
Plus this was just thrown on a tax bill that has absolutely no correlation to this pipeline, which is one of the reasons that our economy is in it's current state.

I agree, the buffoon must be voted out, but this bill is not why. Killing it was the right move even if he did it for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 9:24 am 

This whole sham is more about drilling for the oil we have rather than letting the Canucks suck it out of sand. We have enough oil in Alaska to meet domestic demand for 200 years. That would give us the time for much needed development other energy sources. As it stand now alternative energy is a dismal failure. Some of this tech has some promise but for right now the companies our government is backing with billions of dollars are dropping like flies. This is simply because there just isn't anything nearly as efficient as as fossil fuels for energy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 9:43 am 

ND Fan wrote:
Some of this tech has some promise but for right now the companies our government is backing with billions of dollars are dropping like flies.

that's partially because many of the patents for these promising technologies are being bought up by the oil companies for tremendous amounts of money

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 10:07 am 

indacup wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/18/industry-source-state-department-will-reject-keystone-pipeline-reroute/?test=latestnews

Well, your first mistake is reading Fox news...

The second one is not thinking about transporting toxic material across the US and the environmental effects of something going wrong --

The third is thinking that two months is sufficient time to conduct a study

The fourth is not thinking that the Republicans set that two month deadline knowing it was not sufficient, and knowing the State Department would recommend against ... and so they could use the rejection as pablum for fools to blame the President.

The fifth is not knowing that by setting a two month deadline the Republicans have delayed the onset of the Pipeline -- because now the company must submit another route.

True, the President wanted to delay a decision on this because he was going to go ahead with it eventually, but did not want to piss off liberal environmentalists by approving it and who might stay at home instead of voting for him.

Still - the Pubs only wanted to embarrass the President and use the rejection against him to bring up the hate level. So who is the bigger buffoon between the Prez and the Republicans? And who is playing the worst of politics? :deadhorse:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 12:52 pm 

tjshorty15 wrote:
ND Fan wrote:
Some of this tech has some promise but for right now the companies our government is backing with billions of dollars are dropping like flies.

that's partially because many of the patents for these promising technologies are being bought up by the oil companies for tremendous amounts of money

How is it big oil's fault for procuring these patents. I guess the guys that get all the development capitol shouldn't sell them. Blaming oil isn't the answer. Oil is the life blood of our nation whether we like it or not. So far nothing has come close to taking it's place. But since it is a limited resource we have yet to even begin to see the end. When oil dries up in a thousand years we'll most definitively have something to replace it. The pipeline issue is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in years nobody on either sides plays honest. Why can't issues such as this be hashed with honest if not subjective facts. What are the risk? do we need it? is there a better alternative? For all the pollution idiots out there, people do understand that we have pipelines through out the entire country right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 1:28 pm 

ND Fan wrote:
tjshorty15 wrote:
ND Fan wrote:

How is it big oil's fault for procuring these patents. I guess the guys that get all the development capitol shouldn't sell them. Blaming oil isn't the answer.

I wasn't blaming the oil companies at all, it's the perfect move business-wise. Ethically is a whole other ball game though.

ND Fan wrote:
Why can't issues such as this be hashed with honest if not subjective facts.

Now that is a great question

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm 

When I say that i really don't mean us gabbing about it. We mean nothing. Will we as a government ever be able to set politic aside for the benefit of the country? I doubt it, the whole thing has become a big game.

I get a kick out of people sayin the wealthy fucks running for office aren't in touch with the American people. Don't people realize these guys are spending 200 million dollars to get a job that pays 400k?!?!
There's nothing about being in touch with the average Joe when you consider that.

Santorum is probably the best candidate the GOP has but he just doesn't look presidential, he looks a little more like Pizza Hut managerial.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 3:11 pm 

ND - Do you really want to elect someone to the highest office when their own state didn't even want them in the last election? There were many reasons that he wasn't re-elected in PA, namely he's a scumbag...then again, aren't they all?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 3:40 pm 

ND Fan wrote:
Don't people realize these guys are spending 200 million dollars to get a job that pays 400k?!?!

They (those running) ain't spending there own money. I go back to a quote from Gladiator (great movie), where one of the Roman senators said "I am for the people, not of the people"....or something to that affect.

Profile E-mail