It is currently August 18th, 2018, 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PC goes even further off the deep end. School mascot nixed because it might be offensive.
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:34 pm 

Is it the Indians? The "Fighting Irish"? The Reskins? Nope, you can't call your teams the Cougars because hot middle aged women might be offended.

You can't make this stuff up. This is verfied as a real story, not a parody. :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 02778.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PC goes even further off the deep end. School mascot nixed because it might be offensive.
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

:o

I would have bet this was a story from The Onion. Amazing. I hope the U Cal Santa Cruz teams are not forced to get a new mascot because banana slugs are offended.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PC goes even further off the deep end. School mascot nixed because it might be offensive.
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:54 pm 

Dummer and more dummerer every day. :roll:
(Look at that school, by the way! Anyone else go to one of these Taj Mahals of teachers unions when they were in school? Me neither.) :roll: :mad:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm 
GolfBizTalk Moderator

Un-Fracking-believable!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 3:05 pm 

Wow!?!?

:headbang:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:11 pm 

I actually did a little further looking into thiswhat actually happened (or as near as I can figure) was that there was an first ballot to narrow the names down to four. A second ballot was to sent out with the top 4, but the Superintendent and Board of Education got a rash of complaints from parents, one of the complaints being the double entendre of the word Cougar.

I am guessing that they bowed to what I surmise was a vocal minority and went with a different name (they also ruled out the second top vote getter Diamondback). I don't think this was a PC issue, more of a conservative parents with the undies to tight issue (IMO).

(if anyone cares http://www.boarddocs.com/ut/canyons/Board.nsf/Public, you can here the audio of the discussion and vote on the "Chargers" name. Its almost funny to hear the board members "testify" why they like the name)

Yeah I had a little extra time on my hands this evening before supper lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:44 pm 

Really?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 11:19 pm 

When I become the omnipotent ruler of all mankind the Utah school board had earned a place against the wall. That's beyond stupid.

The school should not only adopt the name, they should take it to the extreme and leave no doubt about the way they're using the word. Put Salma Hayek, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Beckinsale and Sophia Vergara on the banners around the stadium. Donations to the program would probably go way up.