It is currently May 24th, 2018, 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: If you want to go on a killing spree do it in Norway
PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 3:43 pm 

Their jails are nicer than most apartments in New York City, Chicago and L.A.

This is what Anders Breivik has waiting for him for killing 69 people. The maximum sentence is 21 years and he could be out for weekend parole in as little as 7 years. Astonishing.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/inside-the ... how/#crsl=

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: If you want to go on a killing spree do it in Norway
PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 7:46 pm 

Thank God he won't have to suffer.

Kan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 8:33 pm 

I was about to jump on this one and absolutely roast Norway for being a bunch of pacifist pansies who are afraid of giving harsh punishments. I believed in the "scared straight" mentality and thought that brutal prisons was a good way to keep people who had been in jail once out of jail again. I decided to do a little research.

Norways homicide rate is 1/4th that of the USA.
Norways rape rate is 1/5th that of the USA
Norways armed robbery rate is 1/10th that of the USA
Norways incarceration rate is 1/11th that of the USA

Norway believes in rehabilitation rather than punishment
Norway believes that overcrowded and overly harsh prisons lead to a cycle of violence

In Norway 20% of released inmates wind up back in jail within 2 years of release
In the USA 50-60% of inmates are back in jail within 2 years

I'm going to bite my tongue and not jump on Norway for having it wrong, maybe they know something we don't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm 

Kill 'em so he cannot kill again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 11:22 am 

SKrinsky wrote:
I was about to jump on this one and absolutely roast Norway for being a bunch of pacifist pansies who are afraid of giving harsh punishments. I believed in the "scared straight" mentality and thought that brutal prisons was a good way to keep people who had been in jail once out of jail again. I decided to do a little research.

Norways homicide rate is 1/4th that of the USA.
Norways rape rate is 1/5th that of the USA
Norways armed robbery rate is 1/10th that of the USA
Norways incarceration rate is 1/11th that of the USA

Norway believes in rehabilitation rather than punishment
Norway believes that overcrowded and overly harsh prisons lead to a cycle of violence

In Norway 20% of released inmates wind up back in jail within 2 years of release
In the USA 50-60% of inmates are back in jail within 2 years

I'm going to bite my tongue and not jump on Norway for having it wrong, maybe they know something we don't.

Yes, their system is not specifically designed to create re-offenders.
Our system is so broken, corrupt, racist, etc., we have no foot to stand on and criticize ANY nation.
We are the "leader" in putting people in cages. "Free-est Nation on Earth" my ass.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 3:21 pm 
GolfBizTalk Admin

Our prison system obviously isn't working, I'm all for trying to do things like Norway. Might as well, things can't get any worse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2011, 8:14 am 

The status of their jails is not a cause of this statistic.
Not sure what the answer is but a country with a population of 5 million has a better chance at cultural control. I would be curious just how many people are on welfare in Norway. What is the graduation rate for public schools in Norway? Too bad Norway doesn't own our debt we could just hand it over to them and all become Norwegian citizens. Our government is so screwed up we have no chance of ever being the America we once were, politics is all just a game and the players are little children with no interest in the the bigger picture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm 

You can't just look at the crime rates and assume that the prisons are the reason. There's probably a thousand differences that could be contributing in varying degrees. Different demographics, different education system, etc.

If they want to turn a mass murderer loose in 7 years, that's their perogative. Not gonna happen here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 3:38 pm 

Raidermatt wrote:
You can't just look at the crime rates and assume that the prisons are the reason. There's probably a thousand differences that could be contributing in varying degrees. Different demographics, different education system, etc.

If they want to turn a mass murderer loose in 7 years, that's their perogative. Not gonna happen here.

Not sure if this little tidbit I found is current or not:
Quote:
There is little relation between addiction and criminality; addicted persons are virtually unknown in Norway's penal institutions; and those who end in prison usually are there for repeated petty offenses, such as the forging of prescriptions.

The rise of prison populations in the U.S. is in direct correlation to our drug LAWS, which of course made for the rise of more prisons to the point now that we are the "leader." (Yeah, in something!) :roll:

In a quick read, very few addicts exist in Norway, and those that do, often are able to get their "fix" from a doctor due to lax enforcement against physicians who do so. The figure I saw was approx 700 "addicts" in Norway for a 4 million population in Oslow. .000175% sounds pretty good to me. But by all means, we should listen to the politicians and police who call for ever more rigorous "enforcement." :roll:

Usually, the laws determine whose behavior is "criminal." More "criminals" usually means MORE LAWS.