It is currently December 12th, 2017, 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving a loose Impediment
PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 1:32 pm 

OK a question raised in the wake of Tiger moving his ball trying to remove a Loose Impediment.
You get to your ball down the left side of the fairway near some trees which do not interfere with your swing. Your ball is on the fairway but sitting on some leaves and a couple of small twigs. As you try to remove a twig behind the ball that would come between the ball and club if you were hitting to the green, the ball imediatly moves so you stop and swear probably :lol: Knowing you have to replace the ball under penalty of on shot do you set it back up against the twig and hit or do something else?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving a loose Impediment
PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 1:41 pm 

If it looks like removing said twig would move my ball, don't even attempt to move it and hit the ball as it lies.
Takes the penalty out of the equation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 1:56 pm 

I understand Scott but you thought it would make a big difference to the shot and it looked like it would come away easily so you tried and it moved (Just play along it's worth knowing)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 3:43 pm 

OK the reply I was looking for was, before replacing your ball you could remove all the LIs in the area and replace the ball on the fairway, leaving yourself the perfect lie.
I thought it was a bit against the rules when I heard it but after posting here I was speaking to my buddy who had been on tour asking what he would do. Bearing in mind he hasn't swung a club in anger for 5 years i was surprised when he replied saying he would do that and i said I thought it was a bit off.
When I said that he burst out laughing, why? Because I told him that as one of the more obscure rules when he was coming through as an Am and we did that very thing in a Euro Tour event when I was on his bag!

(thats why I can't be bothered waiting on a reply, I'm stupid!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 6:27 pm 

So, if you accidentally move your ball, you are taking a penalty anyway so you can then clean up the area and with the same penalty of one stroke, get a great lie?

Profile E-mail